What's new

Smallville 5/20/03 (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
This is going to be one long summer....

So many questions, and some new ones brought into the mix.

Chloe is being real selfish. She knew who Clark liked all along, yet duped herself into beleiveing otherwise, and now seems to be going over the edge.

I'm assuming that letter to Lionel was from the professor shown at Feb Sweeps played by Christopher Reeves?

It'll be interesting to see how the Clark/familly relationship pans out. Every incarnation I've seen has him and his parents being pretty tight.

What did Jor El say at the end of the ep? Didn't quite catch it and wasn't sure if it was a new phrase WITH the ship destroyed, or an old phrase.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What did Jor El say at the end of the ep? Didn't quite catch it and wasn't sure if it was a new phrase WITH the ship destroyed, or an old phrase.
What I heard was: "You will obey me, Kal-El."

I'm starting to think that Jor-El isn't Jor-El at all. Perhaps the Eradicator. But I can't imagine a father of any spieces doing that to their child.

The way things are going now, I don't see how Clark could possibly end up being the cheerfully optomistic flying boy scout that is Superman. I mean, all Bruce Wayne suffered was the loss of his parents and look how screwed up he turned out.

P.S. I was worried about how they'd use the red kryptonite. I'm glad the writers are still being creative with it, rather than using it as another standby plot device.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I was fairly dissapointed by this one. Not sure where they're going with this unwholsesome mess. After the terrific set up of last week, this was quite a dissapointment.

OK, anyone wants to speculate about Lex?

--
Holadem

Rocky F

Second Unit
I haven't really had time to think it all through, but I will say this, (and this is coming from someone who has really enjoyed the whole series) but it seems like the makers of the show are finally starting to take some chances. I mean, it was hinted at back during the Rosetta episode, but I like that they are really exploring the whole "taking over the world" concept. I just hope they don't sweep all the set ups in this episode under the carpet in the first five minutes of the season premiere. Oh well, only four months or so to wait.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So she was in bed with dad all along? That would suck big time. Yay! :D

--
Holadem

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
OK... good episode. A downer, but good nonetheless.

I thought Evil Chloe dressed in black scheming with Lionel was too fast and over the top.

I agree that dad's anger towards Clark seemed a bit unwarranted, until finding out about the baby.

I think Lex WAS drugged but the crash sequence was a dream. I thought for sure he'd fly over Kent Farm and see the hole.

The end worked well, but it's gonna be a long summer is right! :)

Part 1 Last Week: A-
Part 2 Tonight: B

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Observations:

1. Pa and Ma were approaching a stop sign at ~ 20 mph and managed to fly through the intersection and through an oncoming shock wave and flip over 1.5 times? How'd that happen? Was this some kind of reverse inertia shock wave? And more importantly, did the wreck kill the fetus or did the magic shock wave do it?

2. Ross Creamed Corn? What sort of evil doings was Lionel up to when he bought a creamed corn factory? :D

3. Was anybody else waiting for the Jor-El voice to say "Where's Jenny?" :D

4. I'm going to miss the storm cellar. They should put in a swimming pool (or as Ellie May would say - a cement pond).

5. I thought the time delays built into the communication with the ship were annoyingly artificial. "Clark, it is time for you to assume your destiny. Come back in 10 hours after the rest of the plot has advanced enough." Yawn.

6. Overall, I have no idea what happened in this episode. Lots of set-up, not much in the way of explicable pay-off. They gave us lots of questions and four months to sit and ponder them.

Lionel paid off the shapeshifter girl to appear as the doctor, marry and then kill Lex. Of course, Lex will survive and become an evil supervillain. This is obviously just random speculation on my part, so don't make any wagers on this information.

Brad

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
great to hear Terance Stamp's voice as 'Jor-El'.
i like the direction this series is going while still constrained by the acknowledged 'history' of the character.

good job.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I agreed with Greg of the, potential, dream sequence. I mean, where did everyone go?

Poor Lana, she's going through another heartbreak as this season end. I guess, Clark may have blown his chance with her for good this time.

Now, he will have to deal with Chloe and Lionel alliance, as they are trying to discover his secret.

I assume Clark is heading to Metropolis for the new season this fall. It looks like the writers are setting up for an encounter with young Lois Lane (possiblity an intern at the Daily Planet?)

It's going to be a long wait til Sept., at least I got some good summer movies to keep me busy until than. :)

-bruce

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Very cool episode! Adam, I would tend to agree with you concerning the possibility of the coming of the Eradicater, or maybe even Brainiac! Either would be the result of being altered by Clark's attempt to destroy it's original programming!!! Terrence Stamp's voice was a great touch! But, the main question is, can I wait through the summer for this to be resolved???:frowning:

Gregory E

Second Unit
Will the compass that Mr. Kent gave Lex play some role in his survival?

I guess next season is gonna start with Clark partying in Metropolis....but how long will he stay? I bet he runs into Lois.....

Everybody is pissed at Clark right now.

Lana: Because he ran out on her just as they started a real relationship and he's a big fat liar.

Lex: Because the best man didn't show at his wedding.

Chloe: Because Clark would rather bone Lana. But who wouldn't?

The Kents: Because Clark killed their unborn child.

Pete: Well...Pete is always on the outside looking in.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lots of people have been specualting that Helen woudl die and that woudl push Lex over the edge. it's lookign like the reality is much worse. If I'm reading what happened correctly, she betrayed him.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Yeah, it all seem a bit contrived to me. The truck flipping, Clark just not finding the time to tell Chloe so that Chloe can conveniently go to the dark side, Clark wanting to put on the red kryptonite ring so he'll feel better.

If the plane crash is real, I don't see Lex could survive. He apparently falls into water a lot....

//Ken

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Enjoyed the finale and liked how the status quo was shaken up. It is funny though and all the big things (the wedding, Clark and Lana, Clark learning about the Kyrptonite key, Jor-El) happen on the same day!

And the "you have until sundown, but if not, then you have until noon tomorrow" was funny. Looks like Jor-El has been watching too many old westerns.

I certainly was sad to see the baby die, but I must admit I'm glad it's not around next season - Clark and Lana babysitting, Clark saving the baby every week. I'm happy they aren't going that route.

I don't think the Lex situation is a dream. That would be a bit of a sellout. I think he's in serious trouble.

And I hope Lana smartens up and demands from the Kents or Pete to know what is going on. She can't just ignore Clark blowing up the farm.

I really hope they play on these events and don't wrap them up and have everything go back to normal.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I always figured Helen had something to do with Lex and his situation, considering how she seemed a bit worried before the plane took off. Maby she's some form of mutated Kryptonite monster who can take on human form or something and is in it to steal his money :)..

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't all that crazy about the 180's pulled in this episode/cliffhanger.

This might be the episode where the soap opera aspects of Smallville might weight it down too darkly/heavily for the next seasons to come.

Things look dire, and once again, the worlds of the main characters have been literally and figuratively upside down.

Just guessing: Helen and Lionel might have been in cahoots all this time, and using Lex's own psychosis against him, Helen was the perfect foil for Lex's insecurities.

Sometimes, Jonathan Kent is written so inconsistently, but given that he's a hot-head in remission, maybe this is what causes him to lash out when he's in great emotional pain and turmoil. Using the loss of their child to create the rift between Clark and his parents is heartbreaking.

Chloe's deal with the devil is disappointing, but expected.

Sometimes you have to wonder just how bright Clark really is. The boy's got plenty of growing up to do. Using red K as a "fix" like a past drug abuser would do in times of crisis just didn't sit all that well with me. I guess I'm too much of an optimist when it comes to the character of Clark Kent, growing pain and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks