What's new

Who Has A Cell Phone? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I know, by now it's probably like asking who owns a toaster, but I finally got my first cellphone after ignoring the whole thing for years. I'm still programming it, but at the moment I'm curious to know who has a cellphone and how it's proven good/bad/indifferent. I'd also like to know what you chose. I signed up with AT & T and got a Siemens S46. Any comments or insights about getting into the cellphone life would be appreciated. :)

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
Don't feel lost--oddly enough I just got my first cellphone today. And I thought I was the only one! I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread to see what people say...

-Joe

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Welcome to the 1990s, Amish boys ;)

I keep mine the same way I keep my wallet: Would rather not have to carry it, but it's a lifesaver sometimes.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Yeah, I generally find it to be a curse though. On a positive note, I've only had to throw it a couple of times, those Nokias are tough little phones!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've been with Sprint PCS for a couple of years now and it's the only phone I have, I don't have a landline in my house. I naturally do most of my talking at night or on the weekends so typically I don't have a problem staying under 300 mins per month. My Sanyo phone is as durable as they come, that thing has been dropped countless times and is still working like new.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
HEY! I have a toaster too!!!

Lets start our own toaster club with reviews, demos, and toaster FAQ's!! Who's with me!?

I've got a cellphone. Had one for several years actually but only been on a plan isnce december... otherwise, its been pay and talk. Canadian provider... :)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
My Motorola V60c has been dropped, kicked, and had a beer poured into/onto it. Still works like a charm.

The thing has saved my ass a couple of times, to boot.

Devin U

Second Unit
Who doesnt have a cell nowadays. You want to see the cell phone extremists, go to howard's forums. Man, there are 15yr olds there with like 7 lines of service and moddify thier phones.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
Lets start our own toaster club with reviews, demos, and toaster FAQ's!! Who's with me!?
I want to join--but I don't have a toaster. I have a toaster oven, but was thinking of replacing it with a toaster. Which model do you all recommend? Which one sounds the best while the toast is toasting? Can I get one with a toast doubler? Do they all come standard for making 4:3 toast, or can I get one that'll also do 16:9 for those larger loaves???

Oh, yeah, to get back on topic, I've had a cell phone for a couple of years and I almost never use it. It wasn't my idea to have it, but it is handy at times, so I'll keep it. I hate telephones in general and will only make a call if I have to, so the poor thing just hangs out, turned off, until I have no choice but to pick it up. There is the added bonus that it annoys a lot of people that I carry a phone with me but am still unreachable.

Devin U

Second Unit
Oh, yeah, to get back on topic, I've had a cell phone for a couple of years and I almost never use it. It wasn't my idea to have it, but it is handy at times, so I'll keep it. I hate telephones in general and will only make a call if I have to, so the poor thing just hangs out, turned off, until I have no choice but to pick it up. There is the added bonus that it annoys a lot of people that I carry a phone with me but am still unreachable.
You sound like my dad! You try to reach him, and he's got the cell off, or just left it at home. I do understand you, but with the advent of caller ID and voicemail, if I dont want to talk, I just let the phone take care of it untill Im ready to talk.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I've had a cell phone since 1995, and even worked for GTE Wireless (before they became Verizon) for 2 1/2 years at a call center. I don't use mine that often; basically it's there for emergencies. I hate carrying one though. Currently using a Motorola V60....dropped it several times and it still works.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
You know what I checked this thread out just to see what people have to say. I never got a pop up add while looking at HTF. Open this thread and 10 seconds later a Cingular pop up ad. Thats crazy. I have had a cell for years. Couldn't live without it. Don't use it as much as I use to. It's against my employers policy to talk while operating a company vehicle. My advice don't go over your allowed miniutes. Could be real expensive. Watch out for roming signal to it can run up your bill.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I am required to carry one because of my job, otherwise I probably wouldn't have one. I could do just nicely with a pre-paid one for emergencies, but the company pays for my Nextel.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Don't gab on it in the car. I know I'm not the only one who hates that. If you must, get a hands-free system for your car...it's at least a little safer.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
A prepaid cell phone user here, some Nokia model with ATT's Free2Go plan. Still wondering if I need an active account to be able to receive free Text Messages. I tried to send me one from ATT's website but I never got it. Anybody know?

I don't have a toaster, but like Michelle, I have a toaster oven.

I don't own a microwave either nor do I drive an SUV. Pffffttt..

Jay

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Maybe a more accurate term for cellphones would be "ass savers," though I don't see it having much usage in ads. ;) My deal with AT & T gives me a "free" phone; I chose a one-notch-above-an-entry level plan because I don't know as yet how much I'll be using it, but don't want to be limited too much. I see plans that go for up to $60 a month--that's way much for me to consider. Right now it's around $29 a month for me, for a year. My main incentive in having one is primarily for emergency use, but I've also seen so many teens with them I'm not about to be left out of another aspect of techno-life (I'm 46). :D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I was with AT&T for about 5 years, and was always happy with their service. For awhile, I was traveling all over the US, and AT&T was one of the first companies to have national coverage, so that was a lifesaver. My current company pays for a Nextel phone for me, that I'm free to use for whatever I want. So with much regret I canceled the AT&T plan, and now use a Nextel. The Nextel works fine; I don't like the radio feature (I find it very annoying), but I love the speakerphone built into the Motorola i90. I use it all the time, especially when driving. The wireless web thing is occasionally handy for looking up movie times, but other than that, I don't use that feature much.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I've looked at, and thought about getting a cell from time to time, but I've been holding out indefinitely. I've survived for 36 years without one, so I think I can continue to do so. I don't want another monthly bill for something I don't even like (telephones in general). Maybe some day I can get in the paper or the Guinness Book for being the last person on earth to get a cell.
I never got a pop up add while looking at HTF. Open this thread and 10 seconds later a Cingular pop up ad. Thats crazy.
You have spyware on your system. Download AdAware from Lavasoft, it'll clean it off and eliminate a lot of those pop-ups.

Brett_H

Second Unit
I got my first last year as a birthday gift from my wife. I hate it. Not really my phone in particular, but cell phones in general. It might be useful once in a while, for an actual emergency, and that's the reason I grudgingly have one.

Dropped calls, crappy sound quality, outrageous monthly bills (making me pay EXTRA for a list of calls made so that I know you're not ripping me off?!?!), mysterious calling plans, roaming charges (< 5 miles from my home?), distracted drivers, people talking in lines/restaurants/work/etc, they're just all around annoying. And no, I'm not a crabby old man, I'm a 28 year old computer programmer and all around geek. I appreciate cool techno-gadgets as much as the next guy, but these things just annoy me.

Thanks for the excuse to vent!

-Brett.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
JayH,

I had a Free2Go phone, but it always seemed out of minutes everytime I needed it, which was not often, but enough to be a pain. I just got a new ATT GoPhone. Just like a pre-paid, but it deducts from your credit card, debit card or checking account. It has text messaging, and you can sign up for internet, e-mail and other stuff (ATT mLife) for $3 extra a month. Plans as low as 19.99/mo. I got the 29.99/mo. - 150 minutes, free long distance, free nights and weekends. For 39.99, you get 400 minutes, free long distance, free nights and weekends. Much better pricing than the Free2GO and a smaller, better phone (Nokia 3590). Plus, no need to buy cards or replace minutes and no credit check or contract to sign.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I need a new toaster. I got mine as a gift before I went off to college, but its never really satisfied me. It gets my pop tarts way to hot. One of these days I'll buy a fancier one, but its hard for me to throw something out that still works.

You know what's really bad? My PCS phone costs me roughly $35 a month. I get free long distance, all the off-peak minutes I want, call waiting, 3 way calling, limited caller ID, voice mail, and its completely portable. My home phone costs roughly $35 a month, and I get nothing with that. The only advantage it has is I can make all the local calls I want any time of day. But I'm not home much during those hours when the PCS phone isn't free, so what's it matter? As soon as I get some broadband, I'm dropping that home phone.

I have the uncanny ability to be able to ignore a phone anytime I want. So I don't mind carrying a cell phone. Plus, with Sprint's sometimes shaky service, I can always claim it never rang on my end. Many of my friends have PCS also so they know what I'm talking about. Fortunately no one abuses my cell phone, and my work is strictly 9-6, so they don't need it. Its never been a problem for me to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks