What's new

Thoughts on Sex and the City after Season 3? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've recently become addicted to Sex and the City. Don't know exactly how this happened, since I first reviled against this show due largely its cause celebre status (e.g., all of the pregnancies) among the too-trendy mass media.

But I thought I'd give it a shot and rent Season 1. Well, I devoured both discs in one day. Great writing, acerbic wit, group dynamic...if not laughing, I was completely engaged during the entire episodes.

Still thought my interest was an anomaly, so I rented Season 2...then Season 3. Enjoyed 2 as much as 1, with 3 following closely behind (perhaps at that point, I was getting tired of all-nighters so my enthusiasm waned...too much of a good thing?).

Well, anyway Season 4 is out on dvd today. Best Buy is offering a seemingly fabulous deal on all 4 season sets - buy all 4 and receive an instant $50 discount ($22.45/season).

I'd feel better about a semi-blind purchase of all 4 sets if I could be reassured about the following:

1. How many more seasons left? (I'm less inclined to buy all current sets if the show has continued on ad infinitum...too much to buy, don't want to buy 10 seasons).

2. Have the qualities that endeared this show to so many endured? Has the show run thin?

Any advice appreciated!

Brian_FSullivan

Stunt Coordinator
2. Have the qualities that endeared this show to so many endured? Has the show run thin?
Some people run hot or cold to the later seasons when the series gets slight more dramatic. Personally I think it was the natural progression to the women's lives as they had to eventually settle down and stop sleeping with a new guy each week so to speak. That being said, I became less endeared toward Parker's character in the later seasons as her decisions seemed to make her less sympathic (I won't spoil you as to what exactly they are). In either case, it's still a solid show and worth your money.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Re: question 1.

There was a fifth season of 8 episodes; the shorter run was because of Sarah Jessica Parker's pregnancy. The sixth and final season commences on HBO on June 22.

Re: question 2.

Opinions vary on whether the show is still worth watching. Some feel that the entire tone of the show is at odds with a post-9/11 world, and certainly the shortened season 5 (the first season filmed after 9/11) was less than stellar. My personal opinion is that season 4 still has enough of the old spark to make it worthwhile, and I have it on order.

M.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Many thanks to both for the thoughtful responses. I was already leaning heavily towards buying all seasons en masse...wanted to hear some opinions overwhelmingly against the latter seasons from those who hold the first few seasons in high regard.

Despite your measured feelings, it's good to hear that you'll both buy season 4...I'm a little more reassured. Although the side in me that's a sucker for tragedy likes how Season 3 ended and could have walked away wanting no more.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, there's no turning back. Damn the torpedos, I've bought all 4 seasons. I'll just have to ration out viewing the episodes so that I don't get sick from gluttony, like I've done with all Thai food.

I've always been drawn to the tragic protagonist character, so like you said Michael, this could really fit the bill for me.

Thanks for your insights.

On a purely cosmetic note (apropos), the cases for all seasons follow the same theme - translucent plastic in different colors.

Most online/circular pictures of Season 4 show an opaque, dark yellow-colored cover. Not the case, as it is translucent (yellow) like the other sets.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I thought Season 4 was great, but I am also one of those people who prefer Adian over Mr. Big. Personally I was really hoping they'd release Season 4 and 5 together in one set and then give us Season 6 next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks