What's new

AVIA/"calibrating" my TV (1 Viewer)

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I get these calibration DVD's everyone is talking about and are they really necessary/worth the money.

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Most stores will order it for you and you can also get it on line at most online DVD retailers. So you can get them just about anywhere.

If you want to know how to set up your TV image properly, then the disc is worth while. If you don't care about such things, then the disc is a waste of money.

The sound and Vision HTT disc is a good starter disc.

regards

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
Can you tell me the name you searched for on Amazon? I tried sound and vision and HTT, DVD calibration, TV calibration etc.,

Thanks

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you! Final question...will I have to buy anything more than this disc like a sound meter which was mentioned in one review. Of course I might want to pick one up later, but a sound meter has never been in my list of "must have's" ;)

TroyRD

Grip
A sound meter is the only way to set up you DD/DTS sound. It allows you to precisely set the volume level of each speaker so that your imaging is proper, and you don't have an overly loud or soft center channel or subwoofer. It can't be done by ear(at least not by anyone I know), you will be amazed how far off you were if you try it by ear first, and then check it with the meter.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The Radio Shack SPL meter is a must have if you care about the sound quality of you system. If you think you can balance your channel levels by ear, you will be very surprised after balancing with an SPL meter. This and Avia are the two greatest 'tweaks' I have for my theater. Think about it this way - For the less than the price of your average 3 ft Monster Cable interconnect, you have a tool which is 100 times more effective in optimizing the sound of your system than any cable at any price.

Users who are viewing this thread