What's new

Delfi Skyfi in the home HiFi (Thread for Home XM Users) (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am starting this thread for those of us addicted to XM and
using it in out own home HiFi setup.

What do you like best?

What are your favorite channels?

Feel free to discuss anything you want about XM @ Home in
this thread. I will post more of my observations as time
allows.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
My current XM useage is in my dedicated 2 channel audio rig.
I will list my equipment below for reference. I have to say
that the audio quality of XM amazes me. Sure there is some
compression artifact but it is minimal and I would like to
think my system is fairly revealing and I can listen to the
music all day long and never get tired of hearing the songs
which by the way are all choice music in my opinion.

My favorite channels thus far would be:

#1: Channel 20 (20 On 20) Top 20 every day.. No talk..

#2: Kiss XM very good variety of top music.. Some talk..

#3: Mix XM a mix of 80's 90's and current! Absolutely fantastic..

#4: XM Comedy this channel is a pure riot!

My current equipment:

Delfi SkyFi XM Tuner
Technics SLBD-22D Turntable
Panny CV51 5 Disk DVD/CD Changer
Parasound Halo P3 PreAmp
Onkyo M-282B 2 channel power amp
or
Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-20 DT Tube Monoblocks (Depends on my mood which amps I use..)

Acoustic Research AR-9 Mains

The sound is absolutely fantastic!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Right now I only have it in my Pioneer car stereo but I am struggling whether I should get the boom box or the pc unit for my home one. Both have their advantages. I like the idea of seeing every channels programming on one screen with my pc (talk about never missing a tune) but the portable factor of the boom box and using out back by my pool would be really nice also. Decisions, decisions. Any advice or experiences would be useful.

Favorite channels in numeric order
5-9 The Decades- Mostly the 80's but all are good.
15 The Village- Really relaxing, its folk, need I say more?
20 Top 20 on 20- Not as good as 22 but its good for a random hit.
22 Mix- #1 on my presets, its always just a random hit; good place to start the voyage.
40 Deep Tracks- Great classic rock station. Plays the songs real fans want to hear, ie. No "Another Brick in the Wall II, but more like "Fearless","Dogs", "See Emily Play" or "Have a Cigar". In short, the other songs from great bands that weren't the singles.
41 Boneyard- I call it the 24 hour Guns n' Roses channel, but honestly how many hair band stations are out there? Its a niche that was deservingly filled, Rock on Poison.
143 Sporting News Radio- Actually the major deciding factor between choosing XM over Sirius. Sirius only had the ESPN combo and some other generic station. I wanted the other two "big boys" which were Sporting News and Fox Sports Radio. When I bought my radio Sirius was having a huge sale, giving away tuners with headsets and the sales guy was pushing it hard. I told him that they didn't have SNR or FSR and he assured me they did so I made him get one of the pamphlets and he looked at the channel lineup and said kind of shocked "yeah, I guess they don't".
150 XM Comedy- This is almost dangerous to have in a car its so funny.

So that would be my top list. I like news radio also, but I am not channel specific, whatever the topic is determines what I listen too. NO MORE ROBERT BLAKE!!! I also like most of the channels in the late 40's and early 50's but none stand out more than the other.

The great thing about XM is it reminds me that for every great song I have remembered there are 2 I have forgotten. Its just always has a song I want to hear, have not heard in decades or something new that sounds cool. And now with the second hook up being 6.99 I can't resist but get one for home.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Me?

I love the 70s.

I mostly listen to:

The 70s
The 80s
MX Mix
Comedy Channel

I have a hardwired Alpine unit for the car and
a Delphi SkyFi unit for the home.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I need to get the Car cradle and a PIE unit so I can use
this in my car :)

Soon enough!

Honestly I haven't had my CD Player on in the house ever
since I got XM!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Being one of the "senior" members of the forum I love the 40's and 50's channels.

Being a Broadway fan (20 shows so far this season) I also love the ON BROADWAY channel.

Being an HT Fanatic (ya think?) I also enjoy CINEMAGIC.

Also, all the Jazz stations, some talk, some sports, some news, etc....

In fact, sometimes I just push the buttons randomly to see what comes up.

You might say I like XM.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Shawn C

Screenwriter
When I remember to bring in my Delphi unit from the car, I usually leave it on:

150, 41, 7, 46, 47

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
FRED RULES!! 80's alternative was always my favorite and the few alternative radio stations that have come and gone never quite did it for me.
The blues channel is also at the top of my list. It seems that the only music I go to see and hear live these days is blues, and the only place on the radio to hear blues in Fort Lauderdale is 3 hours on Sunday morning, so to have it available anytime I want is fabulous!
I also listen to the System and the Move quite a bit. High energy elctronica. Once again, something difficult to find on the radio.
I've had a Pioneer unit in my car since XM was availble in S. Fla. and now have a Delphi unit in my home with a cradle in my wife's car and the boombox for the beach and hotel rooms when I travel.
I swear, XM designed their service for me. I hardly ever bother with CD's in the car anymore, and the only radio I listen to is once a day for a traffic report for the ride home.
This better last forever!

millercv

Second Unit
I have my xm set to be able to listen over headphones, computer speakers, my 2 channel system and the HT system.

I just got it about 2 weeks ago now but my favorite channels are:

Special X - the sounds that don't sound like the other sounds :)
and
Fred

On Broadway and XM Kids gets some play also. I thought one of the things I would like best would be Disney (I'm a disney addict) - but XM Kids is more what I envisioned Radio Disney would be...

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I've got the entire Delphi SkiFi for XM radio setup.
  • Car mount wired through a FM modulator in my 2001 Mazda
  • Listening though the headphones to the boombox at work.
  • Home cradle connected to my bookshelf stereo in the bedroom.
My favorite channels:
  1. Ethyl (47) and Fred (44) when in the car.
  2. A couple of favorite ones at work. The dance channels Move (80) and BPM (81). CNN Headline News (123) to keep up with the news (especially during the war.)
  3. Frank's Place (73) and Bluesville (74) when at home.[/list=1]
    If you don't have XM, run, don't walk to your nearest store and get it ASAP.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I have one unit operating on (a) 2 home kits, and (b) a boombox.

I listen mostly to XM Cafe, The Loft, with Soul Street and Bluesville, World, Nguma and plenty of others.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
70's, 80's, and 90's are usually my first 3 scan of Xm.... I then go through Cinemagic, and a few of the Rock stations...

As far as gear in the home, I'm running it through my Bedroom Setup... Harmon Kardon 525 Reciever, 5 Paradigm Reference Speakers...

Car setup: Nissan 350Z Skyfi Craddle mounted in dash... Sony Head Unit via Aux. Inputs, Rockford Fosgate 9 Inch Sub Powered By 400 Watts Fosgate Amp....

Dan A

Agent
I have the Delphi unit with two base stations. The reason I got it was to have music in my office. My building in NYC does not recieve FM, and the idea of keeping a stack of CDs around wasn't too appealing. After listening to a friends set up for 5 minutes, I was sold--after considering the alternatives for months if not years. I was also able to put an extra pair of computer speakers to use that had been sitting idle.

My favorite channels are U-pop, deeptracks, all jazz and classical. The variety alone is worth the investment because as others have said, FM sucks.

Even with a very large music collection, there is nothing like hearing/discovering new tunes.

I also have a base station hooked up to my home stereo, and I'm probably about 50/50 in using XM and CDs.

I am rally thinking about a boombox--does anyone know how they sound. My alternative is that I have a boombox with an audio-in that I could use, but obviously that's not as convenient.

In the last six months the purchase of an IPOD and XM have made my music listening far more enjoyable than anything in many years because of portability and variety. Sound quality is also more than satisfying on XM and with my IPOD, I use a fairly high bit rate that sounds near-CD quality, which in a portable device is all you need, IMO.

Now if I could only go from XM to MP3...

James St

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a unit with a home kit. I tried hooking it at work but couldn't get a signal. I'm about ten feet from the window in my office facing westward and ran the antenna within a few feet from the window. I couldn't get anything so I'll hook it up at home.

Any tips on getting a signal in an office building.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a unit with a home kit. I tried hooking it at work but couldn't get a signal. I'm about ten feet from the window in my office facing westward and ran the antenna within a few feet from the window. I couldn't get anything so I'll hook it up at home.
Any tips on getting a signal in an office building.
I don't seem to have a problem in my office building being 20 feet away from a window. However I'm only getting a terrestrial signal from one of the ground repeaters. If you're trying to get a signal you'll need to play around. Where are you at in Florida, James?

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
James, are you getting absolutely nothing by even just facing the antenna south at your desk? What I would do is (if you can indeed mount the antenna at the window) to ensure that you can indeed get a signal at the westward window (by bringing the unit closer). You may need to point it southward. If so, then get an antenna extension cord that Delphi sells and just run it all the way to the window. Hope this helps.

Dan A, I couldn't agree with you more on everything you've said. I think the boombox sound quality is good. It gives me a lot of flexibility to bring the SkyFi wherever I go. I don't get much of an FM signal in my office either, and the repeaters in NYC penetrate these buildings a lot better - and gives me great reception.

James St

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips. I hooked it up and got it running at home. I've never dealt with Satellite before so I wasn't sure exactly where it needed to be pointed. I placed it on the window sill in my living room and barely got a signal facing south. I accidentally pointed it straight up and immediately got a full signal:b. I since placed it in the corner facing up toward the wall and ceiling. The antenna is able to pick up a full signal through my wall. I plan on buying a second home kit and trying to set it up at work again. If I ultimately can't get a signal I'll just use it in my bedroom and move the tuner back and forth.

I'm only getting a terrestrial signal from one of the ground repeaters. If you're trying to get a signal you'll need to play around. Where are you at in Florida, James?
Dave, I'm in Jacksonville. I was told that there is a repeater downtown(nowhere near me) but I'm not sure on what kind of range it has.

Also, your monthly service is based on the number of tuners and not kits(home/car), correct?

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I have the PCR for home and the old Sony Unit for the car (I can never remember the model number).

I listen to Mix, Cinemagic, Audio Visions, ESPN/Fox and Discovery (though that gets repetitive at times). Occasional Broadway and Bluegrass.

Oh and the Indian channel before they took that off :angry: (hey, what can I say, I like the Sitar :D )

James St

Supporting Actor
Well its not going to work for me at work:frowning:. I got a signal but had to place the antenna within a foot of the window. Anything further away and there is no signal at all. The way my area is set up there is no way to get the antenna close enough to the window to receive a signal. All I can do right now is hope some repeaters are installed near my office park.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks