What's new

American Dreams 5-18-03 (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Wow, another hard hitting episode, like watching an American history lesson for class.This show doesn't hold much back and try to sugar coat what was happening back then in Philly and across our nation. This show rarely slows down, it's always changing along with the times.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite shows on TV now. The only problem I have is the use of music beyond the year the show is taking place. Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels didn't come out with that song until late 1965 and this is the summer of 1964.

There have been other instances. It is minor but irratating to someone like me who has vivid memories of the songs that were popular in the mid 60s.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I hear ya Marty, I've noticed a few others who have posted similar info about the songs being out of chronilogical order. Most people aren't as observant but it's hard to get one over the HTF crew! I loved that redition of "My Boyfriend's Back" Those girls played it up pretty good.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels didn't come out with that song until late 1965 and this is the summer of 1964.
Everyone will have their own view, but this is a bit like some of the criticism we see in some movie threads where certain historical minutia is questioned as to accuracy. If the writers had got the wrong year as to the killing of the three civil rights workers in Mississippi and the ensuing riots, it would be a cause for concern. But I don’t really think the getting the exact year Mitch Ryder recorded C. C. Rider is of any real importance.

Further, this song, sung by that group fits in perfectly with one of the themes of the series and this episode. The Detroit Wheels were an early white soul group, in this case giving a version of a blues made famous by Mississippi John Hurt and others. In this episode we have a white group singing white music, a black group singing black music and a white group singing black music (if any of this can be so categorized). I think a perfect way to highlight what is going on in the country.

C. C. rider, see what you done done;
You made me love you, now your man done done.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have to disagree, but I don't want to argue about what we feel is important

But, if I had the choice I would have played Dylan's 'The Times They are A Changin' - much better, IMO

Glenn

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Did anyone happen to catch the previews for next weeks episode? My vcr had to start recording a different program so I missed seeing the very end of American Dreams.I did see the part where they found Meg and Jack and Henry seeing the new store burning.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
How about this Glenn?

Oxford Town in the afternoon,
Everybody singin’ a sorrowful tune;
Two men dies ‘neath the Mississippi moon,
Somebody better investigate soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks