Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

aspect ratio viewing mode

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   jasper h

jasper h

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 11:24 AM

I have a phillips widescreen tv that has 5 viewing modes - auto (fills entire screen), 4:3, 14:9, 16:9 and widescreen. The user guide states that these are for re-formatting 4:3 broadcasts but I suspect they are also for viewing widescreen dvd's.
I'm just not sure how best to view a dvd (although I am aware it depends on the dvd). Should I always use the auto setting for movies or is it sometimes best to use the 16.9 or widescreen setting. What should I look for on the back of the dvd to help me decide (ie enhanced 16.9 etc).
Any help / input will be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 01:16 PM

Moving to Displays.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 01:05 AM

You should view anamorphic (enhanced for 16:9, enhanced for widescreen) DVD's in Auto or 16:9 mode, whichever mode does no zooming, stretching or cropping. This will cause small bars on 2.35:1 movies, but this is normal and preserves the OAR. Non-anamorphic DVD's should be watched in whatever mode zooms and crops with no distortion, probably 'widescreen' but I am not sure of you TV. 4:3 DVD's should be watched in 4:3 to preserve the OAR.

Of course you are free to mess with the aspect ratio of your DVD's as you see fit, but that will change the OAR, something this forum frowns on.