What's new

Reloaded on IMAX? (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I can't wait to see TMR on IMAX. The fight scenes, superman stuff and the car chase are going to be incredible! Also, I don't think there will be that much of the movie cut off since TMR running time is only 2hrs and 6 minutes, IMAX is only capable of holding 2 hrs, as of right now.

Does anyone know when they are going to release this? I've heard anywhere from three to four weeks after May 15th.

I didn't care much to watch AOTC on IMAX. If anyone did - how was it?

-bruce

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Actually, nothing will be cut, because IMAX projectors have been upgraded to handle more film or something like that. IMAX's website just says that it will be released sometime in June.

david stark

Second Unit
i've heard that as well. looking forward to it, I just hope the special effects are good enough to stand up to a larger image. Some looked too computery for my liking.

i also hear that matrix revolution will be the first film to get an imax and normal screen simultaneous release.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I didn't care much to watch AOTC on IMAX. If anyone did - how was it?
Pretty good, although the cuts were brutal - much worse than those made for Apollo 13. It looked nice enough, especially in the battle scenes (where the smooth shapes Lucas went for were probably easier to DMR, especially considering the low-res source material).

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Also, I don't think there will be that much of the movie cut off since TMR running time is only 2hrs and 6 minutes, IMAX is only capable of holding 2 hrs, as of right now.
Without the credits and "Revolutions" teaser at the end, you're right. The final length is 138 minutes with all of the stuff at the end. :)

Jason

david stark

Second Unit
(And, come to think of it, didn't Ghosts Of The Abyss get runs at some non-giant-screen theaters? I seem to recall some Regal Theaters had it)
isn't ghosts of the abyss a documentary? well it's the first something to do imax and normal screen at the same time, must be I read it somewhere!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
it's the first something to do imax and normal screen at the same time, must be I read it somewhere!
Well, it'll be the first live-action non-documentary feature film. I suppose that's something.

That is, unless Disney's really clever and releases Spy Kids 3-D in IMAX this summer. Which would make Matrix Revolutions just the first R-rated live-action non-documentary feature film.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
As I've never seen a film in IMAX that was transferred from 35mm film, I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Will Reloaded be P&S when presented in IMAX since it's a 4:3 format?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Depends what Warner Brothers and IMAX work out. Apollo 13 was cropped, Attack Of The Clones had a sort of in-between ratio, and Treasure Planet was the proper ratio (as, I believe, Return Of The King will be).

FredK

Second Unit
AOTC also had a few modifications to the movie where activity on the edges of the screen was digitally brought in to fit the IMAX ratio.

Many of the scenes on Tatooine seem same because the lost space was just empty space between the characters and not stuff cut off at the edges (the sandcrawler scene comes to mind). In the end I don't like the loss of anything, but I really enjoyed A13 and AOTC and plan on seeing as many movies as possible that are processed for IMAX (after I see them in theaters of course).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
As I believe Return of the King will be
Woah, back up. ROTK on IMAX? When did this happen? The cuts are going to be MASSIVE on that film if they run it on IMAX.

Usually films like that are matted to get at least close to the OAR on the IMAX screen. However, when FOX released AOTC they only released one print, a flat screen print. Dome IMAX theaters that ran it had MAJOR distortion of the image on the edges (and a big black humpt at the bottom that was part of the lower matte on the flat screen). At least Disney has the presence of mind to make a separate print for dome screens with the matting changed slightly to accomodate the curvature of the domed screen.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Woah, back up. ROTK on IMAX? When did this happen? The cuts are going to be MASSIVE on that film if they run it on IMAX.
It was reported late last year; supposedly, there won't be any cuts, but it will be shown with an intermission (and likely a $20 ticket price, since an IMAX theater could usually get three or four shows in during one showing of this beast).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
It was reported late last year; supposedly, there won't be any cuts, but it will be shown with an intermission (and likely a $20 ticket price, since an IMAX theater could usually get three or four shows in during one showing of this beast).
OK, I had forgotten about the intermission option :)

The theater I worked at ran that Rolling Stones movie (before I worked there) and it had an intermission as well (but that was before the running time upgrade to be able to run "Fantasia 2000."

The ticket price will be high, particularly if its playing in an "institution" theater that's in a museum or something. Particularly with the money the studios want back from these things.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah; Disney, for instance, demands the entire box office take and that nothing else be running on the screen at the time for their features. I think the other studios may be a little more reasonable, though.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Okay, so today's the first day of the IMAX screenings. Please post your thoughts on the presentation if you've seen it.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Anyone know if it will be opening in all IMAX theaters? The recorded message at the Winnipeg location has a list of movies up to June 15th, and it doesnt include the matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks