What's new

Wrap up and 'winners' of E3... (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Gaming Age have posted their own wrap up of E3, i'd have to agree that Sony made a big impression this year, plenty of tasty titles heading to the PS2 and that minor ;) announcement of a handheld makes them the winner this year IMHO.

"First category is The best showing/lineup from a publisher. And the winner is, Konami, hands down. With the showing of MGS3: Snake Eater, MGS: The Twin Snakes, a new DDR, Gradius, the rebirth of the TMNT franchise, and a new 3D Castlevania, there was really no question about which company created the most buzz around the show. My second place award goes to LucasArts not only because of their annual showing of their hundreds of Star Wars that are currently in production, but also because of their showing of new content for the upcoming year.

Next category is Best Lineup for a home console system. And the winner of that is, drum roll please, the PlayStation 2. With a number of hot RPGs coming from Square-Enix, a number of the games mentioned above coming from Konami, and their own impressive lineup, including: Gran Turmiso 4, Jak II, and Ratchet and Clank II. Pretty much makes for another exciting year for the PS2. And second place goes to Nintendo. With Super Mario 3 coming to the GBA, Mario Kart coming to the Gamecube, and Square-Enix gracing both of Nintendo’s consoles soon, gives Nintendo the chance to have a very promising year.

Next on my list is Best “unhyped” game of the show. And this honor belongs to Atlus’ turn-based tactical RPG named Disgaea: The Hour of Darkness. With fantastic graphics, stylish art and solid gameplay, this is a title that is most defiantly worth checking out once it hits the shelves later this year. Running up belongs to Konami’s own Gradius V; all that needs to be said about this title is wow!

The next category is the infamous What happened to? This dubious award goes to X-Box’s RPG masterpiece (in the making, or so I’m told) Fable. A very short video clip is the closest we ever got to seeing or hearing about this MIA title. Hyped to be the X-Box’s first epic RPG, and not even a whiff of it at the X-Box booth. The runner up in this category goes to the Zelda titles for the GBA that were supposed here at the Capcom and Nintendo booth.And last but definitely not least, The Game of the Show. This honor was stolen by none other than Square-Enix’s very own, Final Fantasy XI. How they built a persistent online world, while capturing the essence and feeling of the Final Fantasy universe, I will never know. The runner up in this category resulted in a tie between Konami’s Castlevania for PlayStation 2, and Microsoft’s Rise of the Nations for the PC, created by civilization II’s co-creator Brian Reynolds.

Honestly, I had a blast while I was here in LA, and before I sign off for good from the convention center, I would like to leave you with some of the fantastic sights that I took in, while I was here. Make sure you look at Gaming Age legend, Patrick Klepek, playing the “Eye Toy” at the Sony Booth. Moreover, if you were wondering how the Godfather of gaming is looking now and days, don’t miss the picture of Miyamoto and I, as I had a chance to chat with him for a few precious seconds And also I would like to take this time to thank everyone for reading and for all of your kind responses and emails. This is Kevin M. Jones signing off for the final time from the end of this year’s E3 in Los Angles, California."

JamesH

Supporting Actor
And second place goes to Nintendo. With Super Mario 3 coming to the GBA, Mario Kart coming to the Gamecube, and Square-Enix gracing both of Nintendo’s consoles soon, gives Nintendo the chance to have a very promising year.
That's an "interesting" spin to put on Nintendo's showing.

NES to GBA ports = promising?

I thought Nintendo did just about the absolute minimum possible and was WAAAAAY behind the PC and XBOX. Doom 3, Halo 2, Deus Ex 2, Half Life 2, Counterstrike XBL, etc. It's going to be a great year for fans of action games, FPS, and non traditional RPGs.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Im not gonna get into a console war here, but Microsoft had a way better showing then Sony. Sony's big thing was there portable handheld which wont be out till fall 2004. They announced a few good games, there own $20 price drop, decided to mention a HD which should have been in PS2 in the first place, and so forth.

Mean while microsoft announced Huge Upgrades to live, there $20 price drop, a ton of games for live (45 to be exact), DOOOm III coming to x-box, some other excclusive titles for x-box only which they really havent had many of, Rare titles, Halo II demo, the XSN sports network which looks to make the way online sports games were done last year a thing of the past.

There are some more things like the Music Mixer for those music fans out there and so forth which really arent game related but are still very cool

What we should really be talking about is how bad nintendo's showing was. Rogue III and Mario Kart were pretty much it.

capt

paul h

Supporting Actor
Horses for courses i suppose.. Doom3 is great but i'll get it for the PC and the RARE titles were disappointing.

Sony has all the new EA games online and with titles like Castlevania, Gradius, GT4, SOCOM2, Syphon Filter, MGS3, FFXI, Altered Beast, Arc The Lad, Drakengard, I-Ninja, Jak2, Maximo2, Onimusha3, Onimusha Blade Warriors, Ratchet and Clank2, Res Evil Online, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Silent Hill3, Star Ocean, GTA4, Unlimited SaGa, VirtualOnMarz, VF4Evolution they had a much better lineup for me and i own a PS2 and XBox..

Though it's a great time to own XBox or PS2 :D

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
the rare titles were not a perfect dark announcement which dosnt mean its not coming. Conkur uncut looks cool and The Goulies looks fun as well from the video.

We could list games all day which i think i did in a thread on the hardware forum. We will just have to wait and see what happens

capt

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Doom 3, Halo 2, Deus Ex 2, Half Life 2, Counterstrike XBL, etc.
Ugh ... correct me if I'm wrong, but before the Xbox was released, didn't Microsoft insist that its library would not be dominated by PC ports? Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden should be sweet though.

The titles I'm most excited about are Castlevania, TMNT, Mario Kart and F-Zero.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Ugh ... correct me if I'm wrong, but before the Xbox was released, didn't Microsoft insist that its library would not be dominated by PC ports?
I would hardly categorize the Xbox's current and future lineup as "dominated" by PC ports. Of the 43 Live titles announced, I count maybe 6 that can be described as "PC ports". And even so, I don't see that as a bad thing. Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein provide two of the most compelling Xbox Live experiences available--what is wrong with those being "PC ports"? I just don't get this line of criticism. Some of the most exciting PC games coming out next year are also going to be availble on the Xbox, enabling gamers to play them on much larger displays, in 5.1 surround, and in many cases with voiceover chat via Xbox Live. This is a bad thing???

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I just don't get this line of criticism. Some of the most exciting PC games coming out next year are also going to be availble on the Xbox, enabling gamers to play them on much larger displays, in 5.1 surround, and in many cases with voiceover chat via Xbox Live. This is a bad thing???
It's not a bad thing per se, but for me, if the most compelling online gaming experiences are already available for PC, what's my incentive to pick up XBox Live? I can play the PC versions without an online fee and with a keyboard/mouse control setup.

Regardless, my point is that Microsoft went out of their way to separate the XBox's image from that of a "PC set-top box." Now it seems that many of their AAA titles are from the PC. I'm not trying to bash Microsoft or anything; I just don't understand the change in philosophy.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Okay, I understand. From my POV, I think MS is just trying to get the best games possible for their system, regardless of the title's origin. I know in the beginning they seemed to be quite diligent about expressing how the Xbox was a console and not a mini-PC, but now that that seems to have been established I think they are relaxing that attitude a bit (witness the keyboard on PSO, and as you pointed out the sharing of some AAA titles with the PC).

I see what you're saying if the PC version is released and then months later an Xbox version is released (as in Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein). In that case, there may not be an incentive to purchase the Xbox version if you've already played the PC version to death. But if the two versions come out at close to the same time (like Morrowind), I guess gamers will just have to choose if they want the PC or Xbox version. Both have their advantages to be sure, and personally I'm grateful for the choice. Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 look sexy as hell, but my motherboard won't support the graphics card required to run them even if I did have the $300 to drop for that card. I'm glad I'll get the chance to play them on the Xbox.

At any rate, I get where you're coming from now. If a trend develops where all of MS' A-plus titles are also available on the PC and if you have a high-end PC fast enough to run them, then your incentive for buying the Xbox version (or an Xbox at all) would be greatly diminished. I don't think MS is there yet, but I understand the concern.

Dave.A.C

Agent
So does the PC port issue work in reverse for you? Halo, Splinter Cell, Xbox first then months later PC. Crappy PC, getting Xbox ports. Will this apply is MS succeeds and gets Doom 3 on the Xbox first?

I'm just kidding around of course, as you've explained yourself quite well already. Just wanted to jab that in there! I personally don't care where the games come from or where they go, as long as they take advantage of the Xbox's hardware and are fun, I'm satisfied. Keep in mind that the real sales in the console world come from the mass-market of casual gamers that Sony has tapped so well, people that probably don't care to fiddle with a PC just to get some entertainment.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-And, for M.I.A. game of the year, Paul you over looked Duke Nukem Forever! I miss Duke,... where are ya buddy?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Nintendo had that bad of a showing, but it was disappointing. Look at the games coming to the GameCube, not the games they're making for it, and you'll see it's actually a pretty strong lineup. I think that's why it won the award for second place in best console showing.

And just about every great X-Box coming out is either a PC port or has taken forever to finish. For all we know, the next E3 could come around before Fable or Halo 2 come out. And while MS does have a lot of XBL titles, that doesn't make them good just because they're online.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
You know, we really need to leave this type of unbridled fanboyism at home. If you want to list your own personal impressions of E3, that's fine, We don't need posts that set people at each other. Leave potential incendiary posts on the goombah vidgame message boards where they belong.

Who the hell is Kevin Jones, and what is gaming-age, and why should I care. I've read on the net several impressions from people attending E3 who weren't of the fanboy mentality, who've all stated pretty much the same thing. That both MS and Sony had strong showings, and that nintendo had some fun stuff, but, where were the killer apps.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
First off my post wasnt fanboyism. Because I have a X-box, had a GC until recently and right across the hall my brother has a PS2 as well. Ive played all three systems. I know how they are, and from watching everything from E3 Microsoft showed more. Of course its a opinion. i even said that.

capt

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Uh, I wasn't referring to you, Joey. Sorry if I gave that impression. Capt. It was to the originating post. When somebody goes to the trouble of posting what I view as a very biased article, the question has to be asked, why? What's the point? You know going in, that's it going to chafe people and put them on the defensive. The article is very pro-sony in terms of what it says and very anti-ms in terms of what it doesn't say.

My first knee-gut reaction to this article is sony fanboy. Lots of loving for konami and square. That's fine, it's a preference, but then a slamming of Fable as a no-show, while IGN among others were treated to a fifteen minute demo. Guess this so called reporter was on the outside looking in.
On the rpg front you're getting SW:KOTOR, Pirates of the Caribbean, Morrowind Gold Edtion, True Fantasy Onlne, Sudeki, and of course, Fable. Pardon me as a former fan of the not-so-final-fantasy series, that I'm not about to miss them a whole lot.

No mention of doom3, halo2 or HL2. Three of the biggest games shown at E3 even if you're an incorrigble fanboy. Lucas Arts had according to the reviewer the second best showing for a developer, but no mention that four of those lucasrts titles are console exclusive to the xbox or at least will be for the time being. SW:KOTOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Knight 3, and Armed and Dangerous. I don't know of any lucasarts projects that are console exclusive to the ps2. At least the gc has Rebel Strike.

The assessment of nintendo scooping second place as a result of sm3 coming to the gba, Mario Kart DD, and FF:CC. Well, as a gc owner, I'm really shaking my head. Which super mario is this anyway, I get confused when nintendo brings over titles from previous systems to the gba. But, seriously, am I supposed to get excited over an old port of what is yes, a classic game. But, hey this isn't exactly groundbreaking stuff here.

The announcement of mario kart is one of the biggest disappointments of the year. NO online, but you get sys link. The ultimate irony in this situation is that in order to play sys link, you have to buy the broadband adaptor. Now, that's funny.

Another big disappointment, is the heavy reliance of gba connectivity with FF:CC. I don't want to use a gba which I don't own to play the game. Instead of becoming a potential system selling ff game, this particular incarnation of the series is looking to be a multiplayer skewed gba reliant niche product.

Sony's psp announcement is like an announcement of an intention to announce a product. We're talking vaporware for the time being. Late 2004, seriously, why'd they even bother? The ps2 has some interesting stuff, and I'm glad to see GT4 going online. But, a lot of the sony stuff is sequels or resurrecting old franchises. Basically, sony seems to be in a don't rock the boat mode, if ain't broke, don't fix it. The whole EA doing ps2 online only thing, is like, isn't that just the status quo, anyway. Why do you need an announcement to state the bleeding obvious.

At first I was disappointed with the Rare showing. But, I'm hearing a lot of positve feedback on Ghoulies with respect to gameplay and the humor. Conkers BFD sold very poorly on the n64, so this game will be getting the exposure it deserves this time around. It's a very unique platformer even after all this time. I just hope they improve that n64 texture work considerably. And Xbox live play could make this game a hit online. Kameo is the big question mark. I have a feeling that based on what I've read hands on, that the gameplay is still a big question mark and that's why this game still won't be out for a year. Well, some Rare out this year, is better than no Rare.

paul h

Supporting Actor
I'm not biased towards any console, from my experience GamingAge is a decent games site and post pretty good reviews. I look on there as much as IGN, Gamespot or any of the others.. It's all about opinions and we're all entitled to one, i wasn't at E3 myself but from what i've read on various sites and the countless videos i've downloaded i agree with him on the PS2 lineup. I dont see any problem discussing his views.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
It's not a bad thing per se, but for me, if the most compelling online gaming experiences are already available for PC, what's my incentive to pick up XBox Live? I can play the PC versions without an online fee and with a keyboard/mouse control setup.
I've spent more on a video card then the Xbox console and a couple games cost. I believe that is a huge plus for many people that want to play the games, but can't afford a $1500 upgrade to play Doom 3 at an acceptable resolution and framerate. I'll personally be playing Doom 3 on my PC as opposed to my Xbox, but it's an investment I'm willing to make, where-as the average consumer does not seem to feel the same way, in my experience.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
On the rpg front you're getting SW:KOTOR, Pirates of the Caribbean, Morrowind Gold Edtion, True Fantasy Onlne, Sudeki, and of course, Fable
SW has been delayed before, is PotC even an RPG?, Morrowind Gold is a Director's Cut kinda deal, TFO is much like FFXI in the basic idea, Sudeki looks pretty cool, and Fable won't be out until next January.

And HL2, Halo 2, and D3 are all at least not going to come out until December for X-Box, most likely next year. They're also PC ports.

When some of the best games on a console are games that should be out already, Director's Cuts, ripoffs, and ports, then it doesn't look too hot. Not trying to be mean to MS, but this is how the author of that article is looking at this.

OTOH, for GameCube you have Rebel Strike, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart: DD, StarFox, Final Fantasy: CC, MGS: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, PN03, Dead Phoenix, Killer 7, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Party 5, Mario Golf, Wario World, Pikmin 2, and probably some other games I can't remember, not to mention their GBA lineup and the games that are getting ported to all 3 consoles. All of those games are original (except Twin Snakes, though some parts of it are being redone enough so it could qualify in the same league as RE1 for GameCube).

Once again, just showing it from the author's POV.

Users who are viewing this thread