Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

20-year old Boston Acoustic A60's, throw out or get new drivers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Dmitriy

Dmitriy

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 08:10 PM

Got a pair of 20 year old Boston Acoustic A60 speakers. They still look decent, and the box seems pretty well-made, but the woofer has completely disintegrated. Is it worth the money to get new drivers or should I just toss them?

#2 of 5 Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 11:51 AM

I am a huge fan of Boston so I am of course going to certainly not support tossing them out. I have a 15 y/o pair of a70's that I still think they are the bestsounding 2 way speakers in it's class. I don't care what anyone says Posted Image. If I were you I'd call or e-mail boston to see what it would entail to replace the driver. They have a fantastic customer service department that is second to none. They also just updated their website at www.bostonacoustics.com . Give them a try and see what they think. You could also go on e-bay to see if someone is selling a junked a-60 that you could get and swap out the driver. The only reason I am suggesting you get those fixed is that they really do sound fantastic and you could have a great sounding speaker set for dirt cheap. Boy I just read my reply and it sounds like I work for Boston or something Posted Image. I really don't, I'm just a big fan and get excited when I see a post that has to do with Bostons. It seems like all people own around here is Paradigm and B&W. (That was a joke, so if anyone gets offended I was kidding)

#3 of 5 RayL

RayL

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy
but the woofer has completely disintegrated. Is it worth the money to get new drivers or should I just toss them?
Is that the foam surrounds that cost a few dollars? Its an easy repair.
Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-Ray into ISF calibrated Sony KD-34XS955 @ 5 ft into a Zvox 315

#4 of 5 Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm in the same boat with my Genisis 44's from the Mid Eighties. The passive drives and the wooferss have all rotted away. The tweets seem fine though.
I so loved them for the better part of twenty years that I want to recone and refoam them.

I'd recone your Bostons since you like the sounds they make. Yes there are another speakers out there, but why not rebuild the ones you like? That's what I'll be doing.
Best,
Robert

#5 of 5 Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 10:26 AM

I was just looking at refoam kits for an old pair of speakers that I have from a place called Orange County Speaker. They also offer refoaming and reconing of speaker drivers so you may want to check them out.

Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker Repair and Sales - SpeakerRepair.com