What's new

Some of the best DVD commentaries are... (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I love the takes on all of the DVD comments both positive and negative but one aspect I'm intrigued to hear about from all of you is which DVD commentaries do you consider to be amongst the best so far and why??...can't wait to hear the comments, I'll add some of my own soon

Kon

Auditioning
Cannibal the Musical by far. That's the only DVD I have that I've watched at least as many times with commentary as without.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Here are some I have listened to more than once...
o Rob Reiner on This is Spinal Tap (Criterion)
o Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, and Christopher Guest on This is Spinal Tap (Criterion)
o Derek Smalls, David St. Hubbins, and Nigel Tufnel on This is Spinal Tap (MGM)
o Bruce Campbell, Sam and Ivan Raimi on Army of Darkness - Director's Cut (Anchor Bay)
o Bruce Campbell on Evil Dead (Anchor Bay)
o Sam Raimi on Evil Dead
o Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi on Evil Dead II
o Mike Myers and Jay Roach on Austin Powers films
o David Fincher on Fight Club
o David Fincher, Brad Pitt, and Ed Norton on Fight Club
o Chuck Palahniuk and Jim Uhls on Fight Club
o Isolated music score/commentary w/ Danny Elfman on Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
o Any Kevin Smith or Terry Gilliam commentary

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Criterion Seven Samurai's good. I like Heston's commentary on Ben Hur, for those that haven't seen it, it's one of those deals that he does not talk through the whole movie, but there's an icon one can click to forward to the next commentary section, the setup assures very little dead time or babbling.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
The following commentaries are very funny, almost gut-bustingly hilarious at times but not the most educational in the world (although you'll learn a lot about studio politics and raising money):

Mallrats - Kevin Smith, Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Jason Mewes, Scott Mosier, Vincent Pereira - one of the best and the funniest, watch out for Lee's Jeremy London impression and the constant Affleck-bashing, running gags include the appearance of Walt Flanagan and Smith's use of colorful backgrounds, also has video via multi-angle

Clerks: The Animated Series - Smith, Mewes, Mosier, Dave "Thanks for watching!" Mandel, Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, and Chris Bailey - also very funny, especially given the bad rap this series has gotten from network brass, the ideas for additional episodes (discussed during episode 5) are very funny, especially the KITT episode

Kentucky Fried Movie - John Landis, Robert K. Weiss, Jerry & David Zucker, and Jim Abrahams - as a fan of Airplane, The Naked Gun, and The Blues Brothers, this was like a reunion of old friends, Weiss and Landis make some comments that make me laugh out loud especially Weiss' "I think we had a deal with Samsonite" comment during the Fistful of Yen segment

Now for some more scholarly commentaries:

Armageddon - Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer, Ben Affleck, and Bruce Willis on one; John Schwartzman, Ivan Beckey, and Joe (?) Allen on the other - these are very good, Bay and Scwartzman go very in depth regarding technical aspects of the production and it irks me everytime to hear Bay say "7 year olds come up to me and tell me this is their favorite movie"...of course it is, they're 7! :)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - while Nicholas Meyer does contradict himself a few times, this is a very smart and eloquent track from one of Trek's great writer/directors

The Abyss - text commentary by Van Ling - the best text commentary there is, just as good as an audio commentary, extremely well written and researched (Ling was a research assistant on the film)

Ghostbusters - Ivan Reitman, Joe Medjuck, and Harold Ramis - this is the first commentary I've ever heard and one of the greatest, very funny and very informative, we learn almost the entire story of the film from concept to completion, uses the subtitle track for MST3K-style sillhouettes (sp?)

Back to the Future trilogy - Q&A sessions with Bob Zemeckis and Bob Gale - these don't run the entire length of the films (BTTF 3 is only 30 minutes or so) but are extremely interesting and educational and they cover everything from writing to visual effects to the actors to the music...I only wish Spielberg would sit in for these types of things but that's another topic altogether

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
My favourites:

Francis Ford Coppola: The Godfather trilogy

David Bordwell: Alexander Nevsky (Criterion)

Quentin Tarantino: True Romance. He NEVER shuts up on this track! Even when he says he just going to watch the scene, he starts up again after only a brief pause.

Paul Verhoeven, Ed Neumeier, Jon Davison: RoboCop (Criterion)

Roger Ebert: Citizen Kane

Terry Gilliam: Brazil (Criterion)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with BTTF, the one series I can say is the Encyclopedia of Back to the Future..
I love any Ridley Scott commentary (Alien, Gladiator, Hannibal and many others)
The Ninth Configuration with William Peter Blatty
X-Men 1.5 with Bryan Singer and Brian Peck
The 2 commentaries from The Conversation (Francis Ford Coppola and Walter Murch)
all the Kevin Smith commentaries, the innovator of the video at the same time
The whole Goonies commentary
all John Carpenter commentaries
The Citizen Kane double feature
any Terry Gilliam commentary (I'm begging for Criterion's Fisher King DVD or at least the pickup by Columbia/TriStar for a Special Edition)
and many many others

(MORE TO COME-DONAHUE)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Most of my favourites are already metioned here, but the Hunter Thompson commentary on the Criterion Fear and Loathing is fantastic. Definitely worth a listen.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
The Thing with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell. Most JC commentaries are pretty informative, but this one takes the cake!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Roger Ebert commentary on Dark City

I'll disagree with Rob Lutter on Austin Powers 2 commentary, while the first movies' commentary is quite enjoyable, I felt that the second movies' commentary was a huge letdown.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
The In Crowd. Those chicks are as ditzty in real life as they are in the movie. Hilarious.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The Jackass The movie commentaries are hilarious and the Peter Jackson commentary on the Extended Edition of Fellowship of the Ring is very informative and never dull.

-Dean-

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
The cast commentary on Boogie Nights is fascinating. PT Anderson's solo commentary on the same disc is just as interesting, although probably shouldn't be watched with children around. That guy sure does like his "f-words". :D

ShaunS

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i was scrolling down this thread thinking to myself "i cant believe nobody has mentioned boogie nights!" and shaun mentions it in the last post. i think the pt anderson commentary is one of the best ive heard. but on the criterion laserdisc, his commentary on the john holmes documentary is worth the price of the disc and a ld player, if you dont already have one. hilarious!

CJ

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
All of the late John Frankenheimer's commentaries are very informative and interesting.

Monte Hellman's commetaries on Two-Lane Blacktop and Cockfighter are great.

The Criterion (1991, I believe?) Laserdisc of Bad Day At Black Rock had a commentary by John Sturges, and many people talk highly of that commentary. Warner will be releasing the film on DVD next year, but will it have the commentary? No chance. :frowning:

Gordy

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Roman Polanski for THE NINTH GATE and any commentary by John Frankenheimer who goes into a lot of technical detail which is ideal if you want to know more about the film making process. I've bought some Frankenheimer titles just so that I can hear his commentary.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Just to toss a couple of *fun* ones into the mix:

THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL and BEGINNING OF THE END

both with Bruce Kimmel, latter with Susan and Flora Gordon (Bert I. Gordon's sife and daughter); former has THREE commentaries, including one for the brand new documentary.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Atom Egoyan and Russell Banks on The Sweet Hereafter: A very good complement to this movie (one of 90's best IMHO). They discuss the movie in depth, the plot, the difference between the book and the movie (and why),... They really help you appreciate the story more by discussing the story, the character motivations and so on.
Not by providing "definite" answers, but by giving hints to find "your" answers to the movie.
The only commentary I've listen to twice ! Fascinating ! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Cheers,

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks