What's new

Cinematography/production curiosity (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I've noticed something in particular when viewing many unused scenes or alternate endings that are included on DVD's, but I assume that the answer is film production related, rather than DVD related. Why is the video quality on many of these scenes far below the quality of the finished film? Some of them look as if they were shot on video, even though they're shown in the same aspect ratio as the film. Were they shot on video before committing to them to more expensive film footage?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Most deleted scenes are taken from workprints (if it's a film source) or directly from the digital editing systems used for most major films today. With digital editing systems, film is scanned into the computer and output as video.

M.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
They also lack the color timing that the final film wen tthrough. What that is, or used to be, was a series of chemical baths to time the color for every shot so they all match. Now it is done quite a bit with digital color timing.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Basically, if they're not going to put something in the movie, they don't spend the time and money to make it look nice.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Unless you're M Night Schymalan (see Unbreakable and Sixth Sense two disc sets, yummy 5.1 beautifully finished deleted scenes. now compare to Dogma, which are dang near unwatchable.

Adam

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
now compare to Dogma, which are dang near unwatchable
That wasn't intentional, though. There was a problem where a Betacam tape of the dailies was provided with the correct time codes for editing, but the low resolution output ended up getting all the way to the final release.

I agree, though, it's hard to watch. I really wish this had been caught and fixed.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
*nods*

Okay, but Unbreakable and Dogma immediately spring to mind, as I got both on the exact same day and remember thinking that Unbreakable beat the snot out of the dogma set on every level but the fact that Dogma had a keepcase. :D not to be mean to Dogma, but I hadn't listened to the commentaries yet and had only done a basic flyby of the extras (mainly deleted scenes) at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks