-

Photo
- - - - -

Amc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 04:52 AM

Last night i went to go see Identity(good movie btw), i noticed since the last time i was there....that was a while back, they have turned up the volume and i think their subs are playing a bit hot....oh i loved it! because you can actually feel the explosions hit you in the chest....anyways i thought i would share with you my experience last night...

#2 of 18 Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 08:22 AM

Which AMC?

#3 of 18 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,545 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 18 2003 - 01:26 PM

I'm having just the opposite problem in my theater. The volume has been turned down so low, you can barely hear the dialogue. And if you're munching popcorn, you may as well forget it.

This theater has awesome sound systems, and up until last fall they were cranked to a suitable level with nice bass. Now, you can barely hear the dialogue and bass is non-existent.

I've sent them e-mail suggestions and mentioned it to a couple employees, but no dice. I guess I'll just have to put up with it until this fall when the new 10-plex opens up in the next town.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 18 Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 01:45 PM

AMC 30 at the block...i don't usually go there because it's so crowded and it's very noisey but i went last night

#5 of 18 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 03:04 PM

I have only been to one AMC (Empire 25 in NY) and it's a fantastic theater. However, it's been my experience that theater quality varies wildly within the same company.
I am sure there are some dreadful AMCs out there.

--
Holadem

#6 of 18 David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 03:54 PM

I just went today to see X-MenII. I was sitting there thinking maybe it will get louder in a miniute. Never got loud. I told my wife and my friend that went with us that the sound was awful. You can't hear or feel the bass. My friend watched the first Matrix with me last night at my house and the sound was way better. I like feeling the blast myself. Hopefully the next movie I go see at AMC will sound better. I don't go often and todays experience makes me think twice about going back. I prefer watching at home.

#7 of 18 James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 04:13 PM

The AMC I go to has the volume for the smaller theaters about the same as the larger theaters. It doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's really loud in the smaller theater. While waiting for the Reloaded theater to be cleaned, me and my friends watched the first 20 mins of Identity. I heard there's some parts that are scary, but when you can actually feel the thunder, I could imagine the scary parts to really jump out at you.

Most theaters I go to, I can't notice the rear speakers unless I'm sitting directly beside them at the back. I guess that's the only problem I have.

#8 of 18 LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 04:56 PM

Going to the movies really sucks. I mean once you witness how good movies are at home, it totally ruins it for you when you go out. I go to the movies just to experiance the film on a grand scale. I don't even really go there for sound any more, just for the size of the screen. But then the screen looks like $hit. The last 2 films I've seen, I've had to tell them to turn the surround sound ON! Gimmie a break.

#9 of 18 Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 05:22 PM

have you guys fallen for the baby trick? there's a baby crying coming out of the right rear speakers...it's so live like....i've fallen for it twice, turning around to see where the baby is crying...hehe,well i guess because i live in a very fast moving and competitive area, they keep our theaters clean and up to par...

#10 of 18 David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 05:24 PM

I forgot to mention at the begining of X-Men something went wrong with the film and reset back to the advertisements of refreshments. It was during a awesome part to. It only took a miniute to fix but did disappoint us. Between that and the sound it was not worth it. I agree with LaMarcus going to the movies suck.

#11 of 18 David Lawson

David Lawson

Screenwriter

• 1,359 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 01:33 AM

Yeah, I fell for the "baby" the first time they ran that announcement. My friend and I both started grumbling until we realized what it was.

We only have one AMC in the area. I don't have any complaints about their presentation yet, and I've been there at least fifty times since it opened a couple of years ago. That's not to say I've seen fifty good films since it opened a couple of years ago...
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

#12 of 18 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,002 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 06:47 AM

Does AMC still cut the green bands off of trailers? Regal did that for a while but got busted thanks to me Posted Image
Funny that AMC's name is on the Seattle Cinerama theater- it's so out of character for them (it's actually GOOD!)
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#13 of 18 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 08:55 AM

the green bands??
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#14 of 18 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
Does AMC still cut the green bands off of trailers? Regal did that for a while but got busted thanks to me

Quote:
the green bands??

He means those annoying and distracting cards that come up right before the trailer that say "This Trailer is APPROVED for All Audiences...". We also cut them off as they compromise our showmanship; we replace them with a proper "Coming Soon" or "Starts Friday" or "Next Attraction" tag.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#15 of 18 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 12:01 PM

thats what I thought but I wanted to make, sure though I thought they were required since they also typically show the rating of the following movie.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#16 of 18 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
thats what I thought but I wanted to make, sure though I thought they were required since they also typically show the rating of the following movie.
No, the only rating on the green card is the one for the film that it's advertising (if it has one, that is). The feature's rating is the blue card shown at the conclusion of the end credits.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#17 of 18 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,545 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 19 2003 - 03:28 PM

No, the only rating on the green card is the one for the film that it's advertising
I think that's what he meant. I sometimes see if I can use the content descriptions in the ratings tag to see if I can guess the film being advertised. Sometimes they're fairly specific (i.e. "Vampire violence"). I find I can usually guess about 1/3 of them. Posted Image

And I've always wondered why the blue rating card is at the end of the film. Wouldn't it be more useful at the beginning (like on some DVD's)?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#18 of 18 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
And I've always wondered why the blue rating card is at the end of the film. Wouldn't it be more useful at the beginning (like on some DVD's)?
The rating card used to be at the front of the film in the early days of the rating system - when there was still the "M" rating. I don't recall when they started putting it at the end, but by the mid-70s, that's where it was.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow