What's new

how to turn off bass management in 3802 and use direct analog pass thru (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
First of all my setup:

Denon 3802
M-Audio Revolution
Paradigm Studio 20
SVS CS+ / Samson 1000

How do i turn off bass management in my denon 3802?

Also, does the 3802 have direct or analog pass thru mode?

I want to know because i have an m-audio revolution soundcard and i want the Revolution to handle all the bass management.

I currently press "EXT IN" on my remote to use the analog capabilities of the Reovlution. Problem is, the bass is less robust, less full sounding than what it was when i use the digital signal. When i increase the "Bass Boost" option in the user control panel of the Revolution, the bass starts to sound unnatural and annoying.

thanks in advance!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Salvador: I'm not familiar with the Revolution sound card. Does it have a 6 channel analog output? The Denon's 6 (actually 8) channel Ext In analog input has no bass management on it.

When the Denon is in Direct mode with a 2 channel signal, it runs that signal (analog or digial) fullrange to the main left and right speakers. (The sub stills works because the original signal is split into 2 identical halves. The mains receive one as fullrange and the sub's crossover receives the other. In Direct mode, the sub can be turned down to "OFF" if you don't want it on.)

Again, since I don't know how the soundcard works, I probably won't be much help. But one thing I'd do for sure is run some test tones to set the card's DD/DTS individual channel playback levels. Seems like the LFE channel isn't set right.

Salvador

Second Unit
The Denon's 6 (actually 8) channel Ext In analog input has no bass management on it.
First i plugged in the L/R front and the Sub outs of the soundcard to the appropriate ext in of the 3802. The sound coming out of my speakers sounded so thin. I think the issue there is that bass management is tunred on in the soundcard settings and bass management is ALSO turned on in the denon. How do i turn it off for the ext in's??? The LFE signal setting for my soundcard is set correctly.

Once I just connected the L/R analog outs to the cd-in of the 3802 and ran the full range setting in my soundcard, it sounded fine. I guess with this setting the denon is doing all the bass management with the soundcard just giving out the full range signal. I would rather that my soundcard do the bass management through the ext-in.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
The only receiver in the Denon line that has bass management available on the External Inputs is the 5803. I'm not going to be much help with your soundcard but I know for sure that the 3802 has no bass management of any kind on the Ext In's. Just a pure analog pass thru with volume control (and the volume on all of the Denon's is analog too...)

Salvador

Second Unit
The only receiver in the Denon line that has bass management available on the External Inputs is the 5803
That's weird then. I must be setting up something wrong here. Crap, time to go back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all the help chuck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks