What's new

Red Dawn (1 Viewer)

HalRoth

Agent
I was checking out the movie section at target today and this title caught my eye. I had never heard of this flick, but the back of the box made me instantly want it. For 10 bucks and a great cast (Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swazye, Lea Thompson) I figured I can't go wrong.

I'm waiting to get my TV back before I watch it, so just looking for some input on this movie. Wondering why I've never heard of it, seems to be one of those great 80's movies that would be on TBS/TNT every other week.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

It ran in the early days of pay cable like AT LEAST once a week- probably more like once every 2 days. I think it was on HBO, but it's been a while.

I'm surprised you never heard of it either. It's a decent movie- although the first 20 minutes is GREAT and it just grinds to a hault and sort of crawls along after the first 1/4.

-Vince

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
One of the most implausable invasions in film history. Where the hell was Norad!?!
Don't they explain in the film that they used commercial airliners or commerical airline traffic patterns similar to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan?

-- Matt

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's also interesting to note that "Red Dawn" was the first released film with a PG-13 rating.

"Wolverines!" :)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Truly one of my favorites. It would make a great SE if they ever got the cast back together ala "Goonies".

It's also interesting to note that "Red Dawn" was the first released film with a PG-13 rating.
More interesting than that is it began the formula of getting a PG13 and dodging the soon to be dreaded "R"...all the violence you want, but no sex. Looking at the trailer, it looks like there was some sensuality cut out, but this film was considered the most violent ever made for a few years by Guinness...I think they based that on # of acts of violence divided by running time.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
"AVENGE ME!"
Oh man, this movie was cool back in the day. WAY back in the day! Watching C. Thomas HOWL "Wolverines!" :D Dammitt, now I have to go check this disc out!

Joshua_W

Second Unit
"Red Dawn" is pretty much goofy cold-war era posturing.

The most interesting aspect of it is that it's an amalgam of the two big genres of the 80s -- the muscle-bound super warrior - typified by Arnold Schwarzenegger - movie and the John Hughes teen movie. Rambo meets the Breakfast Club, though it actually predates most of those movies.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I dont think that Afganastan had quite the capability of North American Air Defence.
Thats not the question. hey were able to bypass the air defenses by masking themselves as commercial traffic, or using commercial airliners so it wouldn't draw too much attention. So NORAD or whatever early warning system didnt get too suspicious, because it was just commercial traffic.

-- Matt

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
They were able to bypass the air defenses by masking themselves as commercial traffic, or using commercial airliners so it wouldn't draw too much attention. So NORAD or whatever early warning system didnt get too suspicious, because it was just commercial traffic.
Yeah, that was kind of prescient, wasn't it?

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Of course the invasion is pretty much implausable but who cares, it was a kick ass movie back in the day. That was one of the first movies I recorded on SP(lol).

The first battle scene in the mountains was awesome and the cold bloodedness of C. Thomas was great to, when he executes his friend.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I recently brought this movie up during a discussion about the current troubles overseas. An invading force is hampered by irregular forces (dressed in civilian clothes) who use non-conventional means to battle the much more powerful foe. They break the "rules of war" because they have no choice. The question was: Is this ethical? The answer depends on perspective.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

good times, good times. definitely top 10 cheesiest movie of the 80's. (and that's tough competition too.)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly, though, John Milius created a really good film in 1975's The Wind and the Lion (coming to DVD in 2004).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And he also created the very good Big Wednesday, and has a script writing credit in Apocalypse Now. My guess is that he saved Apocalypse Now from being the disaster it could have been. I enjoy Red Dawn but then again you might describe my view of the benefits of widespread firearm ownership to be somewhat more favorable than the view held by Mr. Briggs.

Milius factoids from IMDB:

Films often reflect his conservative political beliefs.
Is an avid gun collector.
Wrote the line "Go ahead, make my day". for Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry.
Wrote "U.S.S. Indianappolis" scene in "Jaws"
Won Lone Star award in 1998 for best film "Rough Riders"
Member, board of directors, National Rifle Association.
Is a personal friend of the Coen brothers and was the inspiration for the character of Walter in The Big Lebowski.

I guess I just have to wait until Bowling for Columbine comes out on DVD so I can host a double feature in my HT of Red Dawn and Bowling......

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I liked Red Dawn as a guilty pleasure back in 1984. Have tried looking at the DVD on three separate occasions in recent months and wasn't able to make it all the way through. For a silly movie it has its charms.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
For the first movie rated PG-13, it's pretty freakin' violent! I vaguely remember it being listed in Guinness at one point! Anyone else remember that?

And yeah, I also think it's good cheezy fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks