-

Photo
- - - - -

Red Dawn

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   HalRoth

HalRoth

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 17 2003 - 07:47 PM

I was checking out the movie section at target today and this title caught my eye. I had never heard of this flick, but the back of the box made me instantly want it. For 10 bucks and a great cast (Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swazye, Lea Thompson) I figured I can't go wrong.

I'm waiting to get my TV back before I watch it, so just looking for some input on this movie. Wondering why I've never heard of it, seems to be one of those great 80's movies that would be on TBS/TNT every other week.

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 02:24 AM

Wondering why I've never heard of it, seems to be one of those great 80's movies that would be on TBS/TNT every other week.

It ran in the early days of pay cable like AT LEAST once a week- probably more like once every 2 days. I think it was on HBO, but it's been a while.

I'm surprised you never heard of it either. It's a decent movie- although the first 20 minutes is GREAT and it just grinds to a hault and sort of crawls along after the first 1/4.

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 01:33 AM

One of the most implausable invasions in film history. Where the hell was Norad!?!
"We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what someone else did." - Thomas Sowell

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
One of the most implausable invasions in film history. Where the hell was Norad!?!

Don't they explain in the film that they used commercial airliners or commerical airline traffic patterns similar to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan?

-- Matt

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 03:14 AM

It's also interesting to note that "Red Dawn" was the first released film with a PG-13 rating.

"Wolverines!" Posted Image

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 04:03 AM

Truly one of my favorites. It would make a great SE if they ever got the cast back together ala "Goonies".

Quote:
It's also interesting to note that "Red Dawn" was the first released film with a PG-13 rating.

More interesting than that is it began the formula of getting a PG13 and dodging the soon to be dreaded "R"...all the violence you want, but no sex. Looking at the trailer, it looks like there was some sensuality cut out, but this film was considered the most violent ever made for a few years by Guinness...I think they based that on # of acts of violence divided by running time.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 05:34 AM

"AVENGE ME!"
Oh man, this movie was cool back in the day. WAY back in the day! Watching C. Thomas HOWL "Wolverines!" Posted Image Dammitt, now I have to go check this disc out!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 05:44 AM

I love the score by Basil... One of my favorites.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Dalton

Dalton

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
Where the hell was Norad!?!

IIRC i thought Powers Booth's character mentioned something about a limited nuclear strike before the ground forces came in. Maybe NORAD got taken out?

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Joshua_W

Joshua_W

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 10:30 AM

"Red Dawn" is pretty much goofy cold-war era posturing.

The most interesting aspect of it is that it's an amalgam of the two big genres of the 80s -- the muscle-bound super warrior - typified by Arnold Schwarzenegger - movie and the John Hughes teen movie. Rambo meets the Breakfast Club, though it actually predates most of those movies.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Don't they explain in the film that they used commercial airliners or commerical airline traffic patterns similar to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan?

I dont think that Afganastan had quite the capability of North American Air Defence.
"We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what someone else did." - Thomas Sowell

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 01:27 AM

Quote:
I dont think that Afganastan had quite the capability of North American Air Defence.

Thats not the question. hey were able to bypass the air defenses by masking themselves as commercial traffic, or using commercial airliners so it wouldn't draw too much attention. So NORAD or whatever early warning system didnt get too suspicious, because it was just commercial traffic.

-- Matt

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
They were able to bypass the air defenses by masking themselves as commercial traffic, or using commercial airliners so it wouldn't draw too much attention. So NORAD or whatever early warning system didnt get too suspicious, because it was just commercial traffic.

Yeah, that was kind of prescient, wasn't it?

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 05:42 AM

Of course the invasion is pretty much implausable but who cares, it was a kick ass movie back in the day. That was one of the first movies I recorded on SP(lol).

The first battle scene in the mountains was awesome and the cold bloodedness of C. Thomas was great to,
when he executes his friend.

I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 06:02 AM

I recently brought this movie up during a discussion about the current troubles overseas. An invading force is hampered by irregular forces (dressed in civilian clothes) who use non-conventional means to battle the much more powerful foe. They break the "rules of war" because they have no choice. The question was: Is this ethical? The answer depends on perspective.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 07:30 AM

"Wolverines!"
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

good times, good times. definitely top 10 cheesiest movie of the 80's. (and that's tough competition too.)
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 08:25 AM

Interestingly, though, John Milius created a really good film in 1975's The Wind and the Lion (coming to DVD in 2004).

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,767 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 20 2003 - 11:55 AM

And he also created the very good Big Wednesday, and has a script writing credit in Apocalypse Now. My guess is that he saved Apocalypse Now from being the disaster it could have been. I enjoy Red Dawn but then again you might describe my view of the benefits of widespread firearm ownership to be somewhat more favorable than the view held by Mr. Briggs.

Milius factoids from IMDB:

Films often reflect his conservative political beliefs.
Is an avid gun collector.
Wrote the line "Go ahead, make my day". for Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry.
Wrote "U.S.S. Indianappolis" scene in "Jaws"
Won Lone Star award in 1998 for best film "Rough Riders"
Member, board of directors, National Rifle Association.
Is a personal friend of the Coen brothers and was the inspiration for the character of Walter in The Big Lebowski.

I guess I just have to wait until Bowling for Columbine comes out on DVD so I can host a double feature in my HT of Red Dawn and Bowling......
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 05:09 AM

Actually, I liked Red Dawn as a guilty pleasure back in 1984. Have tried looking at the DVD on three separate occasions in recent months and wasn't able to make it all the way through. For a silly movie it has its charms.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 07:14 AM

For the first movie rated PG-13, it's pretty freakin' violent! I vaguely remember it being listed in Guinness at one point! Anyone else remember that?

And yeah, I also think it's good cheezy fun.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow