What's new

Help me find a FP and screen for under $2000 and othe questions... (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
So about once a year I come up with this great idea about buying a projector, so I wanted to do some research on a budget set up that would work for me. Right now I just have a 32" Sharp tv and I wanted a "cheap" way to watch movies on a big screen. Right now I have a hard budget of $2000 for a screen and a projector.

Originally I wanted to go with a DLP/LCD/LCOS RPTV but I would have to wait until I can afford one.

Could I get the same quality as an RPTV for a cheaper price? Or should I wait and buy and more expensive RPTV when I can afford it?

Since I have a 32" tv, I think I would need a screen that I can mount in front of the tv on a tripod (I have cathedral ceilings).

The projector would have to be removable and it would sit on a coffee table and the screen would be about 4-5 feet away from the projector.

I guess I'm looking to find a projector that would be more impressive than my 32" tv. I have no idea what screen size would be ideal for my room. I think the viewer would sit about 10' from the screen.

It will be in a large room with 2 windows and 2 openings (one to the kitchen and one to the foyer) so I think it will need to be bright.

I don't know much about projectors but, I think I want a 16 x 9 ratio and HDTV capabilities would be a plus!

If anybody could point me in the right direction or tell me some packages I should research that would be great.

James

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going to get a front projector I would try to find a permanent place for it, they can be a pain to align properly with the screen. As far as projectors go the infocus X1, the Sanyo Z1, and The Panny L300. All are greatu projectors for the price, I went with the L300 and am very happy with it. As far as a screen goes I would make one yourself to hold you over for a while. I made on for about 35 dollars total out of some 2x2's for the frame screwed together with mending plates, I streched and stapled some raw screen material I got at Dazian.com for pretty cheap. I then mounted it on the wall using L brackets. All the hardware I got at Lowes so it should be easy to find.

I'm not sure how big of an image you will get from it sitting that close to the screen, in my setup the projector is mounted from the ceiling like 10ft away or so, and it projects a 96"diagonal screen with a little bit of zoom. You should find out how big the image will be from there though.

I still recommend an FP over rptv just for the fact that you can get a much larger screen, without such a huge, heavy box.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I made my own screen as well for cdn$130 and love it. Check my signature for moer details. Apart from a CRT which you will have to hunt for, the above mentioned PJ's are among the more popular digital ones. Let me just say that you will be impressed in not just the picture size but the quality. Make sure you have control of the ambient light in your room though. This may mean being able to block out the light from each one of the windows generating light in your room. What are the dimensions of your room?

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for all the information guys! I have been looking at all the projectors that Jake listed. I have cathedral ceilings so a ceiling mount is out of the question. Could I mount the pj on a shelf on the wall directly above the viewer? Would that be a good idea? My room will be 21' x 16', it is being built as we speak.

Neil how do you like your Sony? Does your LCD projector do blacks well?

Jake, do you notice any rainbows with the L300?

Also how can I tell if any projectors show true 1080i or 720p images? Do the projectors above produce true HD images?

Do you guys use a scaler or anything? Chances are I'll just be running my DVD player right to the projector.

James

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I run a 480p DVD player straight into a Sanyo Z1, which projects onto a 92"x52" (16:9) DaLite screen (both bought from projectorpeople.com for less than $1800 total) and couldn't be happier :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Jake, do you notice any rainbows with the L300?
You won't see any rainbows with either the Sanyo Z1 or the Panny L300 since both projectors use three 0.7" 960x540 (¼ HD) resolution LCD panels to generate the image. Only the X1 with its single DLP chip MAY reveal rainbows. It all depends on your own sensitivity to the phenomenom and the projector's color wheel design.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
If you get the X1, it would be ideal to put it on a shelf above the receiver because the vents are in front of the projector so it can sit on a shelf and not get hot. (Most projectors have vents on the sides or rear.)

Also, I bought my X1 from [email protected]. You can check there, but I am biting myself for not waiting because Best Buy now has it for $1099 after rebate. Now I have a $1500 RPTV that is collecting dust (not really it has moved into the den, but still, I barely use it anymore).

As for the screen, the beauty of this projector is that it will project a brilliant image onto a standard white wall (I am sure you have one of those laying around!) Trust me you will not be disappointed. And with Best Buy's no hassle return policy even if you see "rainbows" you can return it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
James:

The price on the X1 has come down to $1,199 and comes with a $100 rebate and an extra 3 years on the warranty making the total warranty 5 years on parts and labor. When I saw the price at Best Buy last night I started looking around the net and most vendors have dropped the price they have on the unit to at least $1,199. Some less.

This leaves you with about $1,000 to spend on a really good screen.

Parker

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It will be in a large room with 2 windows and 2 openings (one to the kitchen and one to the foyer) so I think it will need to be bright.
I bought a NEC LT260 which is over 2000 lumens. I can only watch it at night. :frowning:

I wouldn't count on watching shows during daytime. Maybe you could get a wheeled TV stand and keep your 32" around for that.

The shelf over the viewer is a great idea, do it.

I bought a DaLite retractable screen 120" wide. It is starting to ripple, though my wife says that only I can see it. If your SO will let you then get a permanent screen. Tensioned won't fit in your budget.

You may want to look at a HTPC to get HDTV and other goodies on the screen. Also, maybe some bass shakers in the sofa will add to the 'wow' factor. I wish I could get thos, but I have hardwood floors and the sofa sits in the center of the room. Sigh,.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just so you know. Infocus has dropped the price on the X1 down to $999. This still includes the $100 rebate and the extended warranty from 2 to 5 years. Also, since they updating their web site for online orders they will pay for the shipping.

Parker

NathanFlo

Auditioning
I'm curious about this X1. I am about to set up a projector home theater setup (and this price is about to sell me), but if I cannot view it in the daytime, then it won't be as attractive an option as a RPTV.

My living room has a vaulted ceiling, and the distance between the wall I want to project on, and the wall behind my couch is 14 feet. How big of a screen size can I get out of that?

Thanks much in advance for replying,
Nathan
Florence, SC

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I've seen the Sanyo Z1 (~$1500) and was impressed. The Pan L300 (~2K) is well reviewed too. Either of those would be great for ya. I've never seen an X1 or other DLP in that range, so don't know how they look.

You can get a decent $500 screen by DaLite or if you have a good wall, that's a great solution for just the cost of some appropriate paint.

Gordon

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just so you know Infocus is going to be limiting the $100 rebate to the end of May instead of June. With the price drop of over $200 the past week from $1,199 to $999 they are going to be changing the $100 rebate to May 31st.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks