What's new

Outlaw 950 Pre/pro Or New Receiver?? (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Having just lost my Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver due to an electrical storm, I need to make a decision and a purchase.

Whatever I buy will be mated with my Carver AV-705x 5X 125 wpc Amp. My HT Pics will show the rest of my system!!

Basically my question is this: Should I buy a receiver or a pre/pro??

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Personally, I can't think of a reason in the world for you to purchase a receiver rather than a pre/pro. Unless you have a budget of only a few hundred bucks, but then you'd have a piece sorely outclassed by your the rest of your system...

-Robb

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I would go the pre/pro route also, but unlike Donnie I would get the 950 if I was shopping around in that price range. Remember, you are only out 20-30 dollars in shipping if you don't like it.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
No Steven, I had the 09TX. I need to buy something soon so I can enjoy my system. Here is my dilemma. If I wait until September, I can use the $750 Pioneer equipment awarded to my wife for having worked for Pioneer for 15 years. I would probably get a VSX-45TX or a VSX-47TX...maybe even a VSX-49TXi. I could buy a cheapy receiver, now, to hold me over, or I could try and get my VSX-09TX fixed, or I could buy the Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro???

Given that I already have the Carver AV-705x amp, what I really am trying to decide is whether to get a new receiver or a pre/pro??

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
to me, it doesn't make sense to get a receiver if you already have an external amp.. make the move to full seperates.. ;)

gregD

Second Unit
If -- and only if -- you are interested in hi-res multichannel audio (DVD-A, SACD), you might want to consider the VSX-49TXi to make use of the digital interface for your DV-47Ai... and then only because you're apparently in line for a price break on a Pioneer product.

The VSX-49TXi has been getting good reviews (not counting its deficiency in driving low-impedence speakers)... theoretically, that digital connect should result in cleaner sound and greater control for HR/MC... unfortunately, that has not been documented much in the reviews, so it's tough to say if the theory holds up in practice.

If a proprietary Pioneer HR/MC connection is not a concern, proceed directly to separates.

Outlaw or Rotel should mate very well to your system... also be aware that Denon and Integra will be rolling out separate pre-pro's in the near(?) future, probably in the $1k range.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks all. When I got the DV-47Ai SACD, DVD-A, DVD player, my intention was to upgrade to the VSX-49TXi for the reasons stated by Greg. But I really enjoy listening to CD's in 2 channel stereo along with my sub.

I don't know that the digital link capability and unused amplification of the -49TXi will be worth the extra cost over the Outlaw 950. Plus, as I stated earlier, I'd have to wait till September. Next question...(if I go the pre/pro route)...what do I spend that $750 on??

I am getting real tired of not having my system up and running!!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alan:

Having used the Outlaw 950 for the last 4 and 1/2 months I can highly recommend it. It would mate perfectly with your amp and I know you are going to really enjoy its performance.

Also, as already been mentioned above, you can order it and always return it if you don't like it.

what do I spend that $750 on??
Anything you want!!:)

How about $750 worth of DVDs, SACDs and DVD-As?

Parker

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Parker, I think you just pushed me over the edge. I guess I can order directly from Outlaw, correct??

That $750 has to be spent on Pioneer equipment via Pioneer employee sale. Now what??

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Robb, I just bought a real nice computer with a DVD/CD burner on it. I have made several vacation DVD's using the Pinnacle Studio 8 software and my Mini-DV JVC camcorder. The only thing I would record on the DVR-7000 would be cable broadcast, but good suggestion anyway. Thanks.

Maybe I could sell my 8 month old, ISF calibrated, Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD (58") and get a PRO-720HD (64"). I could make someone a sweet deal on the 620!!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alan:

Yes. Just give them a call. They are a great group to work with and if you ever have any trouble with your unit they will fix you up with no questions asked.

You could always get a receiver for your bedroom system. Personally I like your idea of upgrading your RPTV to the bigger Pioneer. You can never have too large of an image.

I am anxious to hear your opinion on the Outlaw. I know you are going to be blown away by its performance not only in your HT but also with your multi channel SACD, DVD A and your 2 channel CDs.

Parker

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Parker, others....I just pulled the trigger on that Outlaw.

I will post reactions and review when it gets hooked up. Now, if someone would just give me a fair price for my Paradigm PW-2200 sub, I could jump on a SVS 20-39PC+. After all, when I upgrade to Studio speakers, I want that good bottom end!!

Thanks to all you guys for making this decision easier.

BTW, I will be attending the 3rd HTF Local Meet in Dayton at LaMarcus' house. I had the 1st at my place back in Feb. It is neat to meet others with the same sickness we all have!!;)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alan:

Send me the information on your Paradigm and I will put it up on the used subwoofers page. Who knows?

Glad to hear you are getting the Outlaw. It is one fine preamp.

Heh, how about posting some pictures of your HT meet?

Parker

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Parker,

I think LaMarcus is going to take pictures at the meet (June 7th). I will make sure someone does, and we will post them. The meet we had at my place was great. Mike brought his Studio 40's and LaMarcus brought his 25-31 PCi. We had fun swapping around equipment. BTW, everyone loved my system...makes one feel proud to hear the praise!!

HTF is a great site!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks