What's new

Roman-era films on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Any recomendations for Roman-era films on DVD?

Besides, Gladiator, Druids, Ben Hur, and Spartacus, what else is there?

Joshua_W

Second Unit
"Satyricon", dir. by Fellini.

"Viking Queen," from Hammer Films. A bit of 60s explotation flick, and nothing resembling historical accuracy.

SteveP

Second Unit
Still waiting for the R1 release of THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE myself with the most incredible sets in movie history.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sorry to nitpick, but The Ten Commandments doesn't quite take place during roman times. :)

Warners hinted at starting a wave of silents, so I'd look out for Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ in the next year or two. If you think the 1959 version is great, see the silent version. I think both are fantastic movies, but it has a superior chariot race sequence, IMO.

They didn't specifically say what would be released in the wave...but Ben-Hur is clearly one of their crown jewels.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Sorry to nitpick, but The Ten Commandments doesn't quite take place during roman times

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for the suggestions. The Fall fo the Roman Empire sounds interesting. So does Cleopatra for that matter. I see Cleopatra has 5-Star Collection Fox release.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If you get "Cleopatra" get a copy with the AMC sticker on the front. That's more apt to be the second pressing which restored the Exit Music. The first pressing left off the Exit Music (thanks in part to concerns raised here in HTF about that, Fox went back and fixed this, which is more than I can say for other studios that have done similar screw-ups).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Warners has some neat spectaculars they haven't released and they currently have no plans to do so -
Helen of Troy
Silver Chalice
King Richard and the Crusaders ( a movie so silly, it makes Prince Valiant and King Richard and the Crusaders look like Shakespeare by comparison.)
Quo Vadis is plannned, aftermore restoration work, for end of 2004.
BTW - the transfer of Cleopatra is truly stunning and the extras are great.
Paramount - where is Samson and Delilah?
Fox - we need The Egyptian.
Miramax now seems to have no intentions of releasing Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Agreed on Samson And Delilah. We also need DeMille's early 30s spectacles, "Cleopatra" (Claudette Colbert was a much sexier Cleopatra than La Liz), "Sign Of The Cross" and the silent "Ten Commandments" and "King Of Kings".

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>King Richard and the Crusaders>Miramax now seems to have no intentions of releasing Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid.

SteveP

Second Unit
Paul Newman has no fondness for THE SILVER CHALICE even going so far as to take out a advertisment in the trade papers apologizing for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks