What's new

Netflix-only pressings? (1 Viewer)

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
I just got "Highlander" from Netflix this afternoon, and after taking the it out of the sleeve, I noticed that the Netflix logo was actually silkscreened onto the disc. Has anyone else noticed this on any other DVD's?

I've been a member since late December and have rented about 60 discs so far and this is the first time I've noticed anything like this.

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator

Somehow I don't think you're talking about Costanza Syndrome here. Is shrinkage a reference to "lost" discs?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
They do it with all the Anchor Bay discs. All of them that I have rented have the Netflix logo on them. Got one this week in fact. I think they get special shipments from them to cut back on bootlegs and such.

They used to not carry many AB titles but they started carrying them with the logo this past year.

I haven't seen it on any other DVDs than Anchor Bay.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I had a few (Two Weeks Notice, Near Dark).

Near Dark seemed to be a special DVD made for Netflix.
I don't own the original but it seems they included some of the disc 2 supplements on the single NetFlix disc.

Doug

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I rented Two Weeks Notice from Netflix, but I didn't notice the logo. I did notice it on Analyze That.

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
Recently rented Trilogy of Terror, also an Anchor Bay release, and it did have the Netflix logo -- first time I've seen it.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Well, there was one Netflix-only DVD release, Croupier. From what I understand, the original film elements were lost in a fire, so this thing seems to be in limbo as far as getting a proper release.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I saw it last week, too — on the Death on the Nile which is an Anchor Bay title.

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, two more Anchor Bay titles that I have rented recently: Fitzcarraldo and Sleuth both have the "stamp." You can buy both of these, so I don't think it's something special between the studio and Netflix.

tony

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yep, two more Anchor Bay titles that I have rented recently: Fitzcarraldo and Sleuth both have the "stamp." You can buy both of these, so I don't think it's something special between the studio and Netflix.
I don't think it is Netflix that is doing this, I think it is Anchor Bay that is special labeling their discs signifying a rental copy as they are the only discs I personally have seen with this special lable.
I don't know why they would do this unless it is to discourage the selling of "stolen" limited editions on E-Bay...or not.

I don't think Netflix is overlaying dvd's with their own identifying label though.

Wan

Auditioning
Netflix has deals with certain studios on buying the discs at cost but will share the profit with them. This was in several articles written about Netflix business model.

I don't know why industry analysts think there's a low barrier to enter this business and compete with Netflix. Besides having alliance with the studios, Netflix has a large library of movies, a lot of which has gone OOP.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...seemed to suggest the idea.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I just recived The Mission from Netflix, and it has on it "RENTAL COPY: NOT FOR RESALE" on it. Or something to that effect. It was not an overlay but silked onto to the disc from the looks of it by Warner.

-- Matt

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why industry analysts think there's a low barrier to enter this business and compete with Netflix. Besides having alliance with the studios, Netflix has a large library of movies, a lot of which has gone OOP.
GreenCine isn't having any problem competing for my dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks