Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New RPTV - need advice

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Harrison

Mark Harrison

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 04:15 AM

Last week I received the new Toshiba 51H83 Widescreen RPTV. I love the set but had a couple of questions. When using Avia to perform a basic video calibration I have to turn the brightness up to 83 in order to see one of the moving black bars. The room lighting was moderately dark when I performed the calibration. Is this going to shorten the life of the set? On another note, I currently have a non HDTV cable signal coming into the set and would like to add over the air HDTV however my landlord will not allow me to mount a dish so I was hoping I could capture some OTA broadcasts with an indoor antennae (I am only 5 miles outside of Boston). What equipment would you recommend I purchase in order to receive HDTV in this manner and does it matter that this set now incorporates some funky DVI input in the back and how does that effect any of my decisions? Thanks.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted May 15 2003 - 04:27 AM

Greetings High brightness will have a neglgible effect on TV life. High contrast ... quite the opposite. It just means your SErvice level brightness was set on the low side ... happens on occasion. Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 04:48 AM

Mark, If you have Comcast cable, you can receive their HDTV box for an extra $2 a month and receive ABC, NBC, HBO, Showtime and PBSHD from them.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 05:37 AM

Federal law prohibits your landlord from preventing you installing a satellite dish.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   KevinFC

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 09:32 AM

Federal law? Really? because half the apartment complexes here in Vegas wont let you do it.
Kevin

Sir, are you classified as human?
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 01:54 PM

[quote] Federal law prohibits your landlord from preventing you installing a satellite dish. [quote]

This is correct. Kevin, they can prevent you from attaching it to their property. They can't stop you from using a freestanding structure to mount your dish on. I believe this is how the law reads pretty much everywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Adrian D

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 03:21 PM

Mark, I am thinking very hard about purchasing that exact same TV soon. Do you mind saying where you bought it and the cost?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users