Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPDIF output from Soundblaster Live. Help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 11:22 AM

I just realized that my Soundblaster Live! card has a SPDIF output, so I ran it into my Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver two nights ago and was impressed that my computer could output PCM when playing sound files, and my PowerDVD software could output DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 over the SPDIF link.

Then I tried it the next day and it didn't work.
It seems that my Creative Drivers (the latest ones from their site that works with my XP Professional OS) only output "Rear Left" and "Rear Right" over SPDIF in 4-speaker mode. 2-speaker mode outputs nothing over SPDIF. Furthermore, my PowerDVD (in SPDIF output mode) software no longer outputs DTS or Dolby Digital.

I tested the digital port on my Yamaha and it works fine.

I am not overseeing obvious things like muting on the computer.

Who can help me solve this issue?

-JNS

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 12:56 PM

Hi Jagan, I can help you solve your problem.

The SPDIF output is a stereo 1/8" outlet, and you are hooking an adapter cable to it which gives you a Red RCA plug and White RCA plug. You are using the Red plug. Although this link (from Creative Labs, maker of Soundblaster) says that the Red plug "carries no signal", it does and this is what threw you off.

The Red plug carries a 48kHz PCM pilot signal that only sends sound to the 'rear channels' when you are in "4-Speaker mode", and silently mocks you in other modes. Damn those truth-twisters at Creative Labs. Damn them all.

Solution: Use the White plug.

Don't thank me, Jagan, all I ask for is that you treat yourself to an early night's sleep so you won't have to feel like a zombie at work tomorrow. The more you help yourself, the more I can help you. Posted Image

-JNS

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Bob_C

Bob_C

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 01:30 PM

LOL, thank goodness Jagan was here to help out....I was starting to worry for Jagan and his problem. Posted Image

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Gunnar J

Gunnar J

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 03:35 AM

Jagan,

Is it now outputing 5.1 for DVD's again as well?

Thanks.

Gunnar