What's new

What kind of speaker wires do you use ? (1 Viewer)

MikeJN

Grip
I will be getting the Rocket ultra package speakers with the 750's in front and rear and the 200 center.

I am using a Sunfire amp with 425 watts per channel X 5 at 8 ohm and I am wondering what speaker wire would be best to use. What are other people using with powerful amps on their speakers ? I hear a lot of people using plain 12 gage zip wire from Parts Express, but I am wondering if other more expensive wires really make a difference in sound quality ? I really don't want to scimp on the wire after buying all this nice equipment, but I also don't want to blow extra money that I don't need to. I just don't know realistically how much difference their will be. Has anyone experimented with different speaker wires ? My right rear wire will be the longest at 35 feet and left rear will be about 20 feet.

Does anyone know about using Canare 4S11 Star Quad cable which is 4 x 14 gage wires and you use 2 wires to each terminal of the Rockets. It is supposed to reduce signal loss and reflect any interference due to the 4 wires spiraling around each other under the outer jacket. The 2 wires twisted together makes an 11 gage wire.

I can get it for .69 per foot as opposed to .35 a foot for regular 12 gage speaker wire so the price is not that much different as I will only need about 100 feet.

Does anyone have any other ideas ? Also I was wondering where to get some good spade connectors at a good price ? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
THANKS, MIKE

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Canare QuadStar is good cable nuttin wrong with it.. Nuttin
wrong with PE SoundKing 12Awg either.. I use the SoundKing
on my setup but I may go with quadstar because it's more
cosmeticaly friendly (easier to make boutique cables with).

Dan_Fitz

Grip
Is parts express the only one that sells soundking?

I am getting some monster cable from best buy for my setup. I am getting

BB

I know its expensive but I am only getting it because i know someone who works at best buy and can get it at cost. I will be using this cable with my fluance 5.1 system and whichever receiver I decide to get.

I have never heard any of the star quad cable first hand so I cant help you there.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
My center and front L/R are connected to the receiver via
10 gauge Hi-Resolution Monster Cable. The front L/R are terminated with gold plated Monster Quick-Lock banana plugs at both ends. The cable for the center speaker has one end that is terminated with Monster Quick-Lock banana
plugs, that end plugs into the receiver, the other end is
terminated with gold plated pins that connect to the spring locks of the center speaker.

My rears (L/R) are connected to the receiver via 14 gauge Flatwire Mega Cable, and are terminated with silver
standard configuration banana plugs at the receiver end, and bare wire (non-terminated) at the speaker end.

I bought the 10 gauge Hi-Res Monster Cable at Best Buy, and
the 14 gauge Flatwire Mega Cable at Radio Shack. I spent the extra on the Monster Cable simply because speakerwire is a proponent in my system that will be the longest lasting. I went "midgrade" for the rear speakerwires due to
the possibility of being in a larger room in the future.

To be honest I personally would not be able to hear a difference between 10 gauge Monster Cable and 10 gauge brand "X",- in my case spending the extra money affords me
nothing but peace of mind. I know that totally makes me sound like a lemming, and you know what?, in this particular area I'm willing to allow myself to be one; again due to how long I'll have the wire I have no problem
swallowing hook line and sinker.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whether or not you are able to discern an aural difference that justifies a higher
price tag, and if not, is it worth paying the extra fee believing that it's a long term investment?, along with having the peace of mind that if any acoustic anomalies
should arise down the road you can feel confident in ruling
out the wire as a suspect?. Whatever route you take in your
decision make sure that you are at peace with it, I've seen
people in forums torture themselves silly over this issue,
and it only leads to the overall diminishment of their enjoyment of the hobby.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I'm with Ron. 12ga cable from Home Depot. ssshhhh... don't tell my audiophile friends. They'd never speak to me again.

--steve

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Mike,

As you no doubt know, speaker wire can be one of the most hotly debated issues in HT. That said, I'm running wire from Knukonceptz and I'm very happy with it.

-Robb

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
Search for a thread that was a challenge to all to prove scientifically that any speaker wire sounds better than any other. I don't recall anyone really could ever do it. The thread went on and on. Its all about the gauge and the quality of the connection. On Roger Russells website he explains that AB wire swaps usually make difference only because the first wire has usually been there for a while and the connection has oxidized. The same result could be acheived by restripping the end of your wires. 12 or 10 ga
THNN solid core in 250 foot rolls is something like $20 at the home center and it comes in colors. It is flexible enough. There goes my reputation at this forum.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I use Harmonic Technology Pro11 plus in my 2-channel system and Van den Hul CS-122 in my home theater.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
You've got a high powered amp, Mike. I think it'd be worth your money to at least try out some better speaker cables on the market. Most dealers "should" let you try it in your own home, and give you an unconditional money back guarantee. See if you can hear a difference, and if it's worth the price they're asking. I think you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't at least give it a try. I made the change to Kimber 8TC about 5 months ago, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner! I had 12awg Monster, which was very satisfying, but Kimber opened up everything another notch or two, IMO.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Me, I just use some nice Phoenix Gold 12ga for the fronts (got it at cost) and the rest is 14ga home depot in wall wire. It all works great for me.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Mike

Spades, the best is WBT no question and PE carrys them and at very good prices.
They are NOT a threaded compression fit....

(Parts Express) own large heavy duty spades are very nice also. Though be sure to measure the width your going to need inbetween the forks, WBT makes 2 widths and PE's are a ~{gold threaded compression type}~ PE's come in only one fork width, 1/4" but will fit smaller posts down to 1/8" with a very solid connection.

Measurments for the PE's heavy duty spade is between the forks.

PE's spade handles 10-gauge, WBT's will go to 8-gauge I belive.

Wire suggestions, I'll just stay clear of that one...;)

Regards
Geoff

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Start out with plain copper wires, using low quality cables won't really hurt sound quality (I'm using 50 cent VCR cords and 16 gauge Radio Shack speaker wires at the moment, and have no complaints). If you want, you can try some of the lower end fancy cables.. they're not entirely "bunk." They make an improvement that is subtle, but you can appreciate over time (like a good amplifier, except... not as good). Just don't expect them to fix a problem like harshness, or boomy bass.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
You should really try out a set of Hank Frankenburg's cables!

He's the only westerner to get his hands on a Tibetan Yak
Foreskin! It's suposed to be the best dialectric in the
world! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks