Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek - Nemesis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
206 replies to this topic

#1 of 207 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 12:50 PM

Posted Image

I got this DVD last week and finally saw it tonight. I pretty much enjoyed the movie and I think that the movie didn’t get what it deserved. People were too hard on this film. Unlike other mediocre movies, it’s well acted. If it’s not the best thing since sliced bread, at least it’s entertaining! You get some extras and some deleted scenes which are better left deleted!

Some stills I made:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 207 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 02:29 PM

Yes Nemesis I guess Beared the wrath so to speak of the public's tiring of the Trek Franchise. I actually thought it one of the best of the TNG era films' Go figure
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#3 of 207 Mark C.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the pics. I, too, believe this is one of the best of the series: right up there with Wrath of Khan and First Contact.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this movie in the theater.

#4 of 207 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 03:31 PM

Paramount has been listening!

new menu gets you to choose between previews and main menu (default) - if you don't choose, it goes through to main menu.

previews (in last menu) - an outdated one for DS9, The Hours.

hmm...sound is VERY low.
picture looks good though.
score is decent.

damn, some good opening action!

ok, having to crank up the sound to hear the dialogue...the action scenes sound darned loud, clear and GOOD.

as a rant I don't understand why they don't just leave it a little higher to start with. VERY annoying.

this movie is good. lots of action, good effects, original etc.

no visible compression, no EE (which I've noticed on Antwone Fisher already!)

recommended!

#5 of 207 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 07:57 PM

I really believe that this film has a chance to do much better in its DVD and Video distribution than it did in the theater.

I know that I, for one, couldn't make it to the theater the first week of its release due to personal problems. The next week, of course, was LOTR:The Two Towers. The weekend after that I was actually determined to see the darn thing, but by then it was already gone! This is, therefore, the first and only Star Trek movie that I was never able to see theatrically!

In talking to a number of my Star Trek friends, the vast majority all stated that they had decided to simply wait on the DVD due to the proximity of the release to the new LOTR movie, which they had all already purchased tickets to before the new Star Trek movie opened!

Paramount could not possibly have picked a worse time to release a Star Trek movie! While the fan base may have "softened" a bit over the past three years, I really believe that the film would have had a much better box office presence if it had been released in mid-August of last year. At that point all the "Summer Blockbusters" had pretty much run their course, and the anticipation for the new LOTR movie had not been cranked up yet to a fever pitch. But ... What do I know?

Anywhoo ... Bring on the DVD!

Oh ... and BTW: While I certainly appreciate the stills, where are all the online in depth reviews for this DVD? The thing "streets" in just five days!!

[Edited]
Uh ... Scratch that! I just noticed that DVDFILE just posted one up:

http://www.dvdfile.c....k_nemesis.html
Joseph
---------------

#6 of 207 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 09:54 PM

they should of released the movie in january or february.. the competition was tough during christmas.

JACOB

#7 of 207 Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. I, too, believe this is one of the best of the series: right up there with Wrath of Khan and First Contact
Wrath Of Khan yes, Fist Contact no.It was more in line with "Insurection".
This was a major dissapointment for me,I had "high ecpectations" after seing the trailers. Bummer!

#8 of 207 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the screenshots, Sam; looks like a good transfer. As a standalone movie, I thought Nemesis was pretty decent and entertaining (which is why I'll probably pick it up). However, as an entry in the Trek series, I was disappointed that it ignored so much of Data's backstory, among other things. And if this is truly the last film with the Next Gen crew as a unit, they missed a lot of opportunities.

I haven't actually seen the deleted scenes yet, but I did read a good portion of the script and there were a couple of scenes that the film really could have benefitted from. At any rate, not an awful film, but just not as good as it could have been. Yet I'm still going to buy it for some reason. Posted Image

I also agree that it was a bad move to put this out right before Two Towers; it was just too crowded a season.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#9 of 207 Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 12:45 AM

Just picked this DVD up last Thursday. OverallPosted Image Posted Image

Kevin

#10 of 207 Mark C.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 12:56 AM

Lewis:

I wouldn't even think of likening Nemesis to the garbage that is Insurrection. Your attitude toward the movie is why it was not a success in theaters and is unjustified IMO. Give it another viewing and say it's of Insurrection quality.

#11 of 207 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 01:07 AM

Is Ashley Judd anywhere on this DVD?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#12 of 207 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Is Ashley Judd anywhere on this DVD?
Not in an obvious manner. I have not seen her; unless you can see her in a distant long shot. But of course Wesley is there!

#13 of 207 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 02:04 AM

I seem to recall reading in TV Guide when the film came out that Judd was never filmed; that that was stictly a 'Net rumor. Just going on memory here.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#14 of 207 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 02:20 AM

Yes she is in there. She's dancing with Wesley. There's a deleted scene with the two of them as well

#15 of 207 Jonathan White

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 02:53 AM

Was Bryan Singer in this, I swear I saw him on the bridge for about 2 seconds.

#16 of 207 Jonathan White

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 02:54 AM

Just checked the IMDB, he was.....

#17 of 207 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 03:58 AM

Lewis wrote:
Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the pics. I, too, believe this is one of the best of the series: right up there with Wrath of Khan and First Contact
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrath Of Khan yes, Fist Contact no. It was more in line with "Insurection".
This was a major dissapointment for me,I had "high ecpectations" after seing the trailers. Bummer!

Then Mark C. wrote:
Quote:
Lewis:

I wouldn't even think of likening Nemesis to the garbage that is Insurrection. Your attitude toward the movie is why it was not a success in theaters and is unjustified IMO. Give it another viewing and say it's of Insurrection quality.

Mark, I could be wrong because Lewis didn't word it very precisely (nor spell very well Posted Image ), but I think when he said "it" he was referring to First Contact, and comparing it to Insurrection, and not comparing Nemesis. I base this on the fact that he first said "Wrath of Khan yes," implying that Nemesis could be compared favorably to it.

#18 of 207 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 04:35 AM

Lookin' forward to getting this. I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed the movie. Posted Image

PS - I also thought that the whole Ashley Judd rumour was just that. Rumour. I'll believe it when I see it and/or someone posts a screen. Posted Image

#19 of 207 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 05:26 AM

I missed this in its theatrical run. I liked Generations very much except for the hokey ending and I liked First Contact as well. I did not like Insurrection very much. What are the chances I will like this one based on that?
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#20 of 207 Jon_W

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 05:52 AM

Neil you sound very much like me. I would say most likely that you would like it but do not expect to be blowin away. If you like Trek at all there is enough in the film to warrant a buy. IMHO.
"You Ain't Been Doin' Nothin' If You Ain't Been Called A Red" - Eliot Kenin, 1983

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow