What's new

confusion about my recievers playback capablility (1 Viewer)

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Sony STR-DE985. It obviously supports DTS, but there is nothing on the reciever or in the manual that says it supports DTS-ES. When I watch my Lord of the Rings (DTS-ES 6.1) movie, it shows up on the front of the reciever as decoding 3/3.1 . I was under the impression from DTS that a regular DTS decoder can not decode the DTS-ES 6.1 format. Am i getting a true discrete 6.1 decode??? or is it a Matrixed 6.1 decode??? How does this format get decoded in my reciever, please help??

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Your receiver is simply reporting information derived from the DTS bitstream regarding the number of channels that have been encoded. But the receiver does not have DTS ES 6.1 Discrete decoding, so it's decoding the signal as 5.1. Depending on how you have it set up, it may also be deriving a matrixed rear center channel, but I'll have to defer to the Sony experts.

Remember: ALL of the sounds in that discrete rear center channel of DTS ES 6.1 Discrete are also in the right and left rear channels. That's part of the backward-compatibility. A true DTS ES 6.1 decoder filters those sounds out of the left and right rears so that they can play from the rear center without interference. But even with a basic 5.1 system, you're getting all the sound.

M.

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
Remember: ALL of the sounds in that discrete rear center channel of DTS ES 6.1 Discrete are also in the right and left rear channels. That's part of the backward-compatibility. A true DTS ES 6.1 decoder filters those sounds out of the left and right rears so that they can play from the rear center without interference. But even with a basic 5.1 system, you're getting all the sound.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :)

Users who are viewing this thread