What's new

Progressive Scan DVD player for $70? (1 Viewer)

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I've never used one, but Koss has been around. Generally their products are sold at places like Sears, Walmart, etc. Definitely not high end equipment, but I'm sure it will play a DVD. Like most players in the under $100 category they come out of China and have just been rebadged with a brand name.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
If you really want to spend that little on a progressive scan player, you might want to keep an eye out for the Sharp DV-S25, which uses the Sage/Faroudja DCDi chipset, and has no chroma bug. I got mine for $65, and I saw an open box locally for $50.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Ronn is right about Koss DVD players being rebadged. Several years ago, I read in "Stereo Review" (now Sound & Vision) that Koss has sold the rights to use its name on home electronics. There's a reason why Koss electronics don't show up on its website. I have never seen or used the model in question....just want to clarify how Koss home electronics is related to Koss, the headphone manufacturer.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I work at Sears (a smaller privately owned store) and in my free time I play with the electronics we have on hand. Just for fun one day I hooked up the Koss player you mentioned and a Panasonic RP62 (Faroujda based, no chroma bug) to a 65" Mitsubishi Platinum TV. The difference was startling. The RP62 had better PQ w/ progressive scan turned off than the Koss w/ progressive scan enabled. The 65" Mits at 8ft away (too close for normal viewing) really showed off the difference in the 2 players. I convinced the owner to let me keep the two players hooked up so i could show the difference to customers and sell more of the RP62s (now replaced by the S35).

The short of it is DON'T get the KOSS player. If your sears still has any of the RP62's for $99.99, pick one up. It's a great player at a great price and DEFINITELY worth the price difference.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks