Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

'PS2 to do progressive scan dvd viewing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 07:48 AM

http://money.cnn.com...._psp/index.htm

"The upgraded machine will also offer the ability to play re-writable DVDs and will offer progressive scan technology, which will improve the visual quality of movies watched on the console. The machine will also be quieter than current models."
Not sure if you'll be able to upgrade current PS2 machines. Come on Microsoft...you should have had this out on the Xbox a long time ago!

#2 of 11 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 10:40 AM

Well, considering the PS2's horrible interlaced DVD playback, I doubt progressive scan will be much better unless they did a massive overhaul....which I suppose is possible. Having said that, they better offer some sort of upgrade to current PS2s.

#3 of 11 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 11:58 AM

Quote:
Having said that, they better offer some sort of upgrade to current PS2s.

Why should they?

LJ

#4 of 11 Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
Having said that, they better offer some sort of upgrade to current PS2s.

I can guarentee you thats NOT going to happen.

Mark

#5 of 11 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 07:15 AM

Well, just this past fall I invested in a new console, network adapter, and extra Sony branded controller....so I can think of about 300 reasons.

#6 of 11 Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 07:55 AM

Sure from your perspective it would be great but from Sony's it would be a logistical nightmare. It would probably be cheaper for them to give you a new console than to do a major circuit board change like this would require. In addition they would have the headache of people bringing in broken / filthy / etc. consoles that would require additional work before they did the upgrade.

You may be able to find a 3rd party that would do it if Sony makes parts available, but I just can't see Sony offering this service themselves.

Mark

#7 of 11 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 08:38 AM

They did put out one software upgrade for the PS2's DVD player that added a time counter and a few other things, so I'd like to see them keep doing that.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 11 Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 08:55 AM

MS can issue a patch CD that updates the dashboard DVD player to do progressive scan. Everything is in place to do it, they just decided to focus on other things when getting it out the door for launch.

I know because with a 3rd party patch on a modded Xbox, it outputs 480p DVD just fine Posted Image No reason why MS couldn't easily do the same with an "official" version. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this in the next few months.

#9 of 11 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 04:22 PM

The reason I'm surprized people are worried about the PS2's video quality is because the movie-playing capability is a BONUS feature, a pleasant result of the gaming circuitry using the dvd format.

Sony is/was under no obligation to put any movie-playback ability into their GAMING machine at all.

LJ

#10 of 11 StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Sony is/was under no obligation to put any movie-playback ability into their GAMING machine at all.

Well, when they market it as a "Home Entertainment System", I would assume movie-playback ability is a necessity, not a bonus.

But you know the thing with assumptions, it makes an ass out of U and ummmmm....umption? Posted Image

#11 of 11 Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, Sony did promote the PS2 as being a game system/DVD player for the masses.

Dan.B

Forum Nav Content I Follow