What's new

'PS2 to do progressive scan dvd viewing (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/13/tech..._psp/index.htm

"The upgraded machine will also offer the ability to play re-writable DVDs and will offer progressive scan technology, which will improve the visual quality of movies watched on the console. The machine will also be quieter than current models."
Not sure if you'll be able to upgrade current PS2 machines. Come on Microsoft...you should have had this out on the Xbox a long time ago!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, considering the PS2's horrible interlaced DVD playback, I doubt progressive scan will be much better unless they did a massive overhaul....which I suppose is possible. Having said that, they better offer some sort of upgrade to current PS2s.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, just this past fall I invested in a new console, network adapter, and extra Sony branded controller....so I can think of about 300 reasons.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Sure from your perspective it would be great but from Sony's it would be a logistical nightmare. It would probably be cheaper for them to give you a new console than to do a major circuit board change like this would require. In addition they would have the headache of people bringing in broken / filthy / etc. consoles that would require additional work before they did the upgrade.

You may be able to find a 3rd party that would do it if Sony makes parts available, but I just can't see Sony offering this service themselves.

Mark

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They did put out one software upgrade for the PS2's DVD player that added a time counter and a few other things, so I'd like to see them keep doing that.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
MS can issue a patch CD that updates the dashboard DVD player to do progressive scan. Everything is in place to do it, they just decided to focus on other things when getting it out the door for launch.

I know because with a 3rd party patch on a modded Xbox, it outputs 480p DVD just fine ;) No reason why MS couldn't easily do the same with an "official" version. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this in the next few months.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The reason I'm surprized people are worried about the PS2's video quality is because the movie-playing capability is a BONUS feature, a pleasant result of the gaming circuitry using the dvd format.

Sony is/was under no obligation to put any movie-playback ability into their GAMING machine at all.

LJ

StevenK

Second Unit
Sony is/was under no obligation to put any movie-playback ability into their GAMING machine at all.
Well, when they market it as a "Home Entertainment System", I would assume movie-playback ability is a necessity, not a bonus.

But you know the thing with assumptions, it makes an ass out of U and ummmmm....umption? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks