Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Plasma EDTV Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 05:36 AM

Hi,

Many people are waiting for the new Panasonic Plasma EDTV since they come with DVI-HDPC input. Since it is an EDTV which only display up to 480p, why is there a need to have DVI-HDPC? In the future, HD programs received without DVI-HDPC will be downrez to 480i anyway, right?

Today, the HD programs on Panasonic ED Plasma TV looks great without going through DVI-HDPC input. Do we loose PQ when the HD programs are downrez to 480i on the same plasma TV?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Gary

#2 of 3 Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 05:36 AM

Anyone?

#3 of 3 Rich H

Rich H

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 05:50 AM

Gary,

I think many people have come to the conclusion you have.
Most feel that, if you are going plasma without HDPC inputs, the Panny ED model is the safest buy for the reasons you've stated. As I understand it, the HDPC issue is more a concern for those who buy HD resolution displays without HDPC, and who may be stuck with down-ressed HD signals on their HD-capable display.

There are only two questions in this regard with the Panny ED model:

1. The Panny ED does a stellar job itself of down-ressing HD content. We don't know that the external down-ressing from a cable/sat box or whatever will be as good. One can hope.

2. There is talk that Hollywood wants to eliminated analog component outputs, in order to maintain control over content protection (e.g. using digital protection schemes to stop copying their content). If this happens and you don't have an HDPC connection, no component signal for you.
THAT scenario, however, seems to be a long shot.

Bottom line: I bought the Panny ED model, I'm lovin' it, and am not worried.