What's new

Will the Norah Jones SACD's CD layer sound better than my other copy? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I saw that the Norah Jones hybrid SACD is coming out on Tuesday and I was wondering if the CD layer on the new CD will sound any better than the CD I already have?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
That's a good question, I'd be interested to find out also.

Is this SACD still on track for May 20th?
Are there any reviews out there anywhere?

Since I don't trust any stores in Canada to have this disc, I'm going to order it from Amazon.com.

Can't seem to find anyone who'll do the 10% off "Share the Love" at Amazom.com with this disc (which isn't too surprising since it's a SACD). If anyone's gonna order it from Amazon, let me know.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
was wondering if the CD layer on the new CD will sound any better than the CD I already have?
Ron, good question.. I think it would be very hard to tell. They may have slightly better mastering but the redbook of this title was so good, I would not expect much, if any, improvement.

The SACD layer, on the other hand, could be awesome! :D

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm just not sure if I want to double-dip! On one hand, I love this CD and would be really curious to see if they could better the original as far as sonics, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cash. Decisions, decisions...

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't purchased the cd yet so I am very glad I did not since now I can have red book for the car and SACD for the house. Whoo-hoo hybrids.:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the mix... a crappy 5.1 remix can suck the life out of even a great recording.

If you don't have SACD-capabilities, I wouldn't think the Red Book layer would be a great improvement over the previous Red Book release (which is top-notch).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Looks like this disc is actually coming out on June 10th instead.

Delayed yet again. :thumbsdown:

You figure BlueNote and Universal would have (at the very least) gotten the Hybrid SACD ready for the huge increase in sales due to the publicity caused by the Grammys. Talk about a missed opportunity!

I guess BlueNote knew where the real money is and released the Norah Jones: Live in New Orleans DVD 2 days after the Grammys.
The sales numbers for the DVD would obviously trounce the the sales for those purchasing specifically for the SACD layer.

Screw it, I've waited long enough and I'm just gonna purchase the CD at less than half the cost of the SACD, and with the money I save I'll pick up the Live in New Orleans DVD (which I borrowed from a friend and is great).

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'm going way out on a limb here but maybe this delay is due to Crest National is pressing the discs and Blue Note doesn't want to ship a bunch of defective discs.
I have the SACD preorded from Circuit City for 12.99 with free shipping. Can't wait to get it.

Greg

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm whether the Cassandra Wilson "New Moon Daughter" SACD release has also been delayed?

Michael_T

Second Unit
I know I'm going way out on a limb here but maybe this delay is due to Crest National is pressing the discs and Blue Note doesn't want to ship a bunch of defective discs.
I hope your right. I know someone who works in the business and he got a promo copy of John Coltrane "Blue Train" - and it was clear from the matrix numbers on the disc that it was indeed pressed by Crest National.

Seeing how I have had 4 different SACD titles (not just DSOTM) crack around the spindle hole (all made by Crest National) - I am very weary of purchasing more discs knowing Crest National have pressed them for the general market.

I have sent e-mails to two of the high ranking officials at Crest National, and I received a "return receipt" that they both indeed read my e-mails to them. I haven't, though, received a response. In addition I have e-mailed Ice Magazine Watchdog, Universal Records and EMI Records. If I have to I will also e-mail Blue Note if they actually use Crest National and either the Coltrane or Norah Jones discs (the two I plan on purchasing) begin to crack around the spindle hole.

What a mess!:angry:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It didn't even occur to me that the reason for the delay might be because Crest is pressing the discs.

Yet another reason to go with the CD.
The last thing I want is a defective disc like the DSOTM hybrid.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Getting back to the sound of the CD layer versus the original CD, I am curious about such a comparison as well. How was the album recorded? Was it recorded in 24/96 PCM? If so, I would guess that the original CD was prepared by simply downconverting the 24/96 master to 16/44.1. However, for the hybrid SACD, a 24/96 master could be converted to DSD, and the resulting DSD master could then be converted to 16/44.1. Then the CD layer might sound different (not necessarily better) than the original CD.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
All of this talk is getting me a lot more curious than I was before! I keep on checking the various high-rez sites for reviews, but there's nothing yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks