Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Progressive Scan compatibility question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 MikeBoehm

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 02:15 AM

Howdy,

I'm looking to get a DVD player for the TV in my Non-Home Theater room. So, of course I'll probably get a new one for the Theater room and take that one and put it in the other room.

So my general question is about Progressive scan and when it's useful and when it's not. Obviously it's better to have it on the DVD player but does the TV also have to support it? If so, how do I know if mine does?

Does a TV need to be HDTV ready to support it or can normal TVs also get benefits from a PS DVD player? Or would I be wasting money to buy one?

Anyway, I have two Toshiba 27" TV (27a42 and a 27a40). The 42 is relatively new but the 40 is a couple years old. BOth have component inputs and such but would Both, Either, or Neither benefit from a Progressive Scan DVD player over my current Sony DVP-S360 from a number of years ago.

Any info would be Great.

Thanks.

#2 of 2 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 02:28 AM

Quote:
Does a TV need to be HDTV ready to support it

Yes. (There are a few exceptions, because technically the 480p signal from p/s players is not part of the HD standard. But hardly any TV that isn't HD supports it.)

Quote:
can normal TVs also get benefits from a PS DVD player?

No.

Quote:
Or would I be wasting money to buy one?

That depends. Will you be upgrading the TV in the near future?

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

Forum Nav Content I Follow