What's new

What vampire/Dracula film is this? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
When I was around four years old I saw this creepy vampire movie at the drive-in...it was very gothic. The only scene I vividly remember is a man and woman sitting in this creepy estate room drinking blood out of wine glasses. This has been bothering me for years. What film is this? This would have been around 1979.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
If it was 1979, there's a good chance it was the John Badham version of Dracula (with Frank Langella as the bloodsucker). I haven't seen it in many a full moon, but I figure it's a good guess.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, I think Scott is right, the Frank Langella movie. Also starred Kate Nellegan and Sir Lawrence Olivia(SP?). In my opinion, the greatest of all Drac flicks, though I don't remember the scene you described. It is available as a cheap DVD(usually 7 or 8 bucks), but be forewarned, it is only letterboxed, not anamorphic; and the color truly sucks, almost black and white. My 15 year old VHS copy off TV has a better color. I truly wish a restored version would become available as it is one of my old time favorites. Despite the picture limitations, it is still worth a buy, just because it is so cool. If you do decide to purchase, hope its the one you remember, if not; its still a great watch. Its erie as Hell. Have fun.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Don't feel too bad. You can tell by the "last edited" line at the bottom of my previous post that I made a typo, too. :)

Regards,

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The muted color on the DRACULA DVD was a deliberate choice by the director. It wasn't originally released that way in theaters or on VHS as you state. This colorless version debuted on laserdisc and was carried over to DVD.

Hopefully, when Universal gets around to re-issuing this one (hopefully with lots of extras) the original color will be restored.

I don't think the film being asked about is DRACULA. It could be lots of things; tons of Euro horror was in re-issue on the drive in circuit at the time.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, Thanks for the info, thats interesting. Also, for all the rest, I promise to work on my spelling. If I must go to my room, do I need to be alone or do I get to chose my playmate? Have a good day guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks