Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Didn't notice a difference I

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted May 12 2003 - 06:39 AM

My 2 DVD players were both bought before progressive scan so I have always wondered what I am missing. Last night a buddy of mine brought over his cheapo phillips progressive scan DVD player. I played parts of gladiator on my sony 860 megachanger and on his player and 3 of us did not see any difference. I used the same component cables on both and used my Wega 32xbr450 HD ready set that I just calibrated using Avia set up disc. I know my 860 is not top of the line but it was a decent player when it came out. His player is the cheapest progressive scan philips makes (he got it for under a $100) So with that in mind should I have noticed a difference? If so, any clues on why I didn't?Would a better quality set really shine through. Anyone have a good disc or type of scene that would really show the difference? Anyways that cured my upgraditis for a little while Thanks Much Grant BTW I watch HD all the time on the set and it looks incredible so I dont think I have a problem there.....
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted May 12 2003 - 09:19 AM

This is more an indication of just how good the DRC (line doubling in the set is than anything else. I have a Sony KP57HW40 57" widescreen rptv, and do see a difference between progressive scan and interlaced from my Panasonic CP-72 player with Faroudja de-interlacer chip. It's a small difference though, and probably more evident to me than to you due to the much bigger screen or possibly because the CP-72 de-interlacer is maybe better than that of the Phillips player you tried. In my opinion, a progressive scan player is not an immediate must-have with a late-model Sony HD-ready set because the set's line doubling is pretty darn good.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted May 12 2003 - 02:19 PM

Steve Thanks for the info. I never really saw a good demonstration between 2 DVD players, one being progressive and the other not. Most stores have such bad viewing areas and sets that were not tweaked it always made me wonder. I have a KV series Wega in the bedroom, from what you said the difference would be more pronounced. Thanks again Grant
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 06:27 AM

small tv decent line doubler means little difference between progressive and non progressive
Cheers

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users