What's new

Normal Marantz X200 calibration levels (1 Viewer)

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi i'm just wondering whats the norm for adjusting levels while calibrating to avia 85db using the Marantz.
I'm getting:
+6 left main
+7 right main
+6 center
+8 right surround
+9/+10 left surround
my room is 22X30 with the HT only in the front half. My speakers are fairly effecent at 94 db. I just think it's kinda high to raise the level this high for each speaker. Also my wire is 11ga fronts 12 ga backs. What levels are you setting up to? I already have some other major problems with my marantz so i'm interested to see if the levels are messed up too. thanks.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
FWIW, I have an SR8200, with Mission 782s fronts, 78C centre and 78DS surrounds. the fronts are nominal 6 ohms, 89dB IIRC.

to achieve 85dB at 0 on the volume knob with Avia, I'm at +1 or +2 all around at most (it varies). the speaker wire for the front three is 16ga bi-wire, the surrounds are 16ga single-run.

room is 13 x 26, with HT in front half like yours. ceilings are a modest 10ft.

sounds like you've got some problems somewhere in your setup, since my speakers appear to be less sensitive than yours yet need less "boost" at the receiver. or are you using the "baby" 4200, which might be under-powered? are your speakers 8, 6 or 4 ohms? if 4, it may be case of insufficient power -- does playing movie material (not test tones) loud sound distorted?

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using the medium sr6200. Definitly something fishy. What bothers me is the surrounds. My left surround was blown a couple months ago and I think it could have been caused by the marantz, not only does it sound bad it could be messing up my speakers! :angry: Now i'm relly pissed!!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
ericLee,

What reciever do you have?

I think your room is big, I have a 14x14 with an SR6200 with JBL S26 (87db) pretty ineficient, everything wired with 12 gauge AR cable. Listening at a movie at 75db, I have my volume knob at -20.

My speakers calibration levels are.
Ceter 00
Left main +06
Right main +07
Left surround +08
Right surround +08
Sub -8

I always like to have my center chanel in 0, and the compensate all the other speakers.

Try putting your center chanel in 0, and then push the volume until you hit 85db, and then level all you speakers, and then check with avia or sound&vision or Video escentials if everything is ok.

Hope it helps,
Pablo

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
The mains are 94db 4ohm center is 93db 4ohm surrounds are 92db 6ohm. I know my room is kinda big but thats why I got sensitive speakers and the sr6200 is supposed to be 100X6. Even if it's actualy pushing only half of that it should have no problem. Whats even more interesting is when I had a 140X3 for LCR hooked up the rears still had to be boosted. -Pablo I don't quite get your method, arn't you supposed to put it to -00 on the vol dial then change levels at that? I don't get it. Do you mean you put the vol at -20 then adjust the other speakers and at -20 the spl measures 75db without any level change? I don't know but your method dosn't seem like the norm and i don't know if you could compare them with my leveling.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
Yee Ming-
Playing movies at loud vol sounds compressed and harsh. Read my other post and you can see The other problems i'm having with my 6200. I don't think i set it up wrong, since i've set it up and calibrated many many time during the last 8 months with a couple of diffrent setups.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't quite get your method, arn't you supposed to put it to -00 on the vol dial then change levels at that?
NO. Read this first:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...553#post650553

I calibrate at -8 on my 6200, which gives me close to 0 for most of the speakers. My typical listening level, similar to Pablo, is about -20. -8 is very loud, but not intollerable, and 0 is VERY, VERY loud with most material. My room is 20' x 22', with vaulted ceilings. My previous room was 25 x 14 x 10, and the listening levels were not much different.

I suspect you have something turned on or off, or configured wrong in your setup menu. Check for "night" mode, speaker size settings, etc... If you blew a speaker, it is almost certainly because you were overdriving the amp.

Heywood

Auditioning
I dunno...I just use the test tones built into the receiver...I set my RS meter to 70db, hit the tests on the receiver (it automatically goes to 00) and adjust till it reads +5 on the meter...mine are all +1/+2(except the sub) all around but I think the most important part is that they're all calibrated on a even level. Mine is the SR8200 btw.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
FWIW, I started with the test tones, knowing them to be 70dB (or was it 75? whatever the manual says, I can't remember), then cross-checked with Avia at 85dB at 0. that gave the final adjustments, in all cases about +1 or +2 only.

I usually listen at -20 or softer: I listen at modest levels, since I live in an apartment. but the few occasions I've blasted the system, most recently Black Hawk Down on a Saturday morning at between -10 and -5, I had no problems at all with getting loud, clean sound.

I suspect the 4ohm rating might have something to do with it, a 4ohm speaker draws twice as much current, roughly, as an 8 ohm speaker, so although your speakers are sensitive, they still require a lot of juice, and IIRC the Marantz receivers are rated for 6-8 ohm speakers only.

but ultimately, it does sound like you have a dodgy unit. have you tried using your speakers, but on a different unit, for comparison purposes? if another 6200 drives them all right, then your unit is obviously busted. if the other 6200 also struggles, then you need to consider more power -- much more power, e.g. use 6200 as pre-amp, and get a power amp specifically rated to drive 4 ohm speakers.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
johnGarcia-
I've had my 6200 for around 8 months and like i mentioned before i have calibrated and setup many many times. I'm not a total idiot and I would know if night, mode or ATT or any tone controls are on and I have everything set to small, with sub. I've checked many many times. I'm not an expert at calibration but I think that weither you level at -20 or -00 it would not matter as long as you get 85 db and if i did leave it at -20 I would then have to boost my speaker levels much higher than anyone else. Because right now if i have to boost +6,+8 at -00db vol then think of how much more I would to get 85db at -20 vol. I never thought of using the method you use because I would not be able to do it without cranking the levels to like +16 and that does not seem normal to me.
yee-ming-
I am aware that 4ohm might be a little difucult but i've read reviews that say that the marantz recievers are more tolerant of lower ohms and the place I bought my speakers from said that they say I should have no problem and that they ofton sell the same combo to their customers. BTW i have a chiro 140X3 for LCR would give me at least 200wpc at the 4/6 ohm, It still sounded harash and compressed when I had it connected and the levels still had to be cranked. The reciver is being sent for service today i'll update when i get any news.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks