What's new

Embarrasing DVD collections. (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Have you guys ever looked at other people's DVD collections and wondered, "What the hell do they have that title for?"

For me, DVD collections are a very personal thing. I never post mine online for the fear that I might be made fun of, because I might have a few bad titles in my collection. I also, never click on people's DVD collections, because, I feel I invade their privacy when looking at which DVDs they own.

Well, the other day, I accidentally clicked on a person's DVD collection in another forum, (not the Home Theater Forum) and what I found, shocked the hell out of me. Their collection consisted of what I would call the worst movies out there! There was not a single good DVD in there (at least in my opinion). It was kinda weird finding out that someone out there buys these terrible movies (again, in my opinion) and actually enjoy watching them. There are so many times in Best Buy ads, and Circuit City ads, that I find terrible movies for sale, and I say to myself "no one in the world would be stupid enough to buy this terrible movie" but I guess some people actually do.

Do you guys feel kinda weird looking at other people's collections?

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I usually look because I expect to find some shitty films in there and then feel good about having a better taste in movies. So far I've seen one collection that I could truly admire. Quality over quantity, I always say.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm proud to say that I have many, many DVDs in my collection of 2000+ discs that you guys would probably find embarrassing.

It's all a matter of personal taste. Why even worry about what someone else owns? Worry about your own collection. Judge not lest ye be judged! :wink:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm proud to say that I have many, many DVDs in my collection of 2000+ discs that you guys would probably find embarrassing.
Well, let's see it! :D

Personally, I've got a list on which anyone could find something to like....and dislike. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
-the perfunctory soulless blockbuster
-the trendy comedy that wasn't funny
-the big boxed sets of tv shows that are ALWAYS in syndication
-The action/sci-fi/war disc everybody and his brother just has to have
-the 'art' film that was gimmicky and pretentious
-the 'classic' that we've all seen 40 times and will probably never want to again
-the absolutely, indefensible, lame as hell film that must have made a deep impression on you as a child cause there is no reason other than queasy nostalgia that anyone should want to own it

yeah, we've all got these in our collection

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes I go to my friend's house and see some of the crap he has on his shelf... End of Days and The World Is Not Enough spring to mind. And that's even after he disliked them in the theatre! He seems to make excuses, saying stuff like "it's better when you watch it again"...

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking strictly for myself, I don't mind putting my collection out there for others to see (as evidenced in my signature below). I'm sure I have more than a few that most people would just have to sit there and scratch their heads over, but I don't worry about it. (Although there are a couple that my wife brought to the collection that I do wonder about ;) )

Like David said
It's all a matter of personal taste

Coressel

Supporting Actor
There was a hilarious bit at www.theonion.com last week about how a one-night-stand came to a sudden end when the girl saw the guy's lame DVD collection. Very funny... there was a line something like "how could I face the fact that I slept with someone who bought "The Legend of Bagger Vance..."'

:D

Wan

Auditioning
Most of the "deviants" from my DVD collections are from blind buys. These are movies that are either cheap when I found them or foreign movies that even Netflix does not (or has not) carry.

Due to their crappiness, combined with either their worthlessness in terms of monetary value or practicality for people who don't own a region-free player, it's hard to get rid of them and hence they keep hanging around. I reserve a special section on the shelf for these troublemakers :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My worthless DVDs were bought because of the women in them like Showgirls,Embrace Of The Vampire(Alyssa Milano),Sirens(Elle MacP and Portia DeRossi),Angel Eyes & Emannuelle5(young Monique Gabrielle)Hot Spot & Career Opp(Jenn Connelly):D

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I've got about 140 odd DVD's at the moment (a drop in the ocean compared to some of you I guess) and I don't think I'd be too wildly ashamed of my collection.

Of course that depends on who I'm showing it to, having a Dreyer box set sat next to a batch of criterions is hardly going to impress the masses whilst someone who tells people 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' is his favorite film of all time is unlikely to be impressed by 'Darkness Falls' or 'Gonin'.

Hell, I'm not wildly impressed by Darkness Falls (although it's fun enough and I don't regret the purchase). ;)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
-the absolutely, indefensible, lame as hell film that must have made a deep impression on you as a child cause there is no reason other than queasy nostalgia that anyone should want to own it.
:laugh:

Those are the worst! :D

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
-the absolutely, indefensible, lame as hell film that must have made a deep impression on you as a child cause there is no reason other than queasy nostalgia that anyone should want to own it.
unfortunately, the above type is not limited to single films for me but entire categories such as the schwarzenegger films and movies featuring jason voorhees, freddy kruegger or michael myers.

ah well, i still get a kick out of 'em, its all that really matters to me...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Although I still have some questionable titles in my collection, I found that I'm able to limit the amount of junk in it by trying to limit myself to one dvd a week.

Of course, my fiancee also insisted that I sell Heathers. But I still have all of my Evil Dead films!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Of course, my fiancee also insisted that I sell Heathers
Get rid of her now before she does more damage!

Seriously, I like many different movies for very different reasons. I buy the summer blockbuster popcorn flicks cause the family likes to watch them, as do I. I like the more obscure horror or foreign film either because of recommendations or for curiousity.

Feel free to browse my collection but try and look beyond the 'crap' films. That can be hard to do when only the recognizable titles stick out.

Link

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Funny - I was thinking this weekend that I'd like to do a profile of my collection for my own edification, but I would feel a bit embarrassed if others looked at it.

The biggest problem (if you could call it that) that I have is that I used to work for a studio, so I have a lot of DVDs that I never would have bought, and I don't really purchase that many DVDs (because I have tons of movies at home that I haven't watched, not that that seems to be a problem for most people around here) so my collection doesn't reflect my taste. But I get a lot of, "Why do you have on DVD? I've never even heard of it!"

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't care what others think of with my collection. I like what I like, and if they have something to say about it, so what. They probably have movies I don't like, but I wouldn't put them down for it. I'm not embarrassed at all about any of my interests.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My DVD and laser disc collection is all over the place and I make no apologies for it! I've got Kurosawa, Fellini, Bergman, Dreyer, Truffaut, Godard, Visconti, Antonioni arty foreign fare right alongside Muscle Beach Party, Empire Of The Ants, Bring It On, The Leech Woman, Rent A Cop and Summer Lovers.

I've got classic silent films, 1930's screwball comedies, 1940's film noir, 1950's musicals, 1960's AIP horror movies right on up to current blockbusters. A little something for everyone from Citizen Kane to a 60's Connie Francis musical.

Still, there are titles you won't find in my collection simply because I don't want them there including Lord Of The Rings, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, the Rambo movies, the Friday The 13th movies and other flicks that others inexplicably have a great fondness for.

I don't judge other people's taste. One simply likes what one likes and need never defend his choices. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I understand that there are a lot of movies in my collection that would make people scratch their heads in confusion, but "To each, his/her own".

And the question isn't
[rant]What DVD's, that you own, would make others ask "Why the hell did you buy that!?"[/rant]

The REAL question is
[rant]What DVD's, that you own, would make YOU say "Why the hell did I buy that!?"[/rant]

I mean, WHY oh WHY did I buy "Sorority Boys"? :b Sorry, I just can't come up with a good answer :D

p.s. Thomas, Don't be embarrassed by "Empire of the Ants". That movie brings back some great childhood memories for me. :emoji_thumbsup: Actually, I like to watch it with my brother and do our own Mystery Science Theater 3000 style commentary :D

GregGS

Auditioning
As far as other people's collections, I like looking because, if they have at all similar taste, I might see some DVDs I want to add to mine. I don't feel like it's violating their privacy, why else would they post them?

As far as the cruddy titles in my collection (mostly either sequels or with a high hotness quotient)--well, they all seemed like a good idea at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks