What's new

rega P turntable (1 Viewer)

Travis*N

Auditioning
I've been looking for a good turntable, cause I want to get into listening to vinyl. The model I like best right now is a Rega P2. How are rega's tables? I can't really find alot of info on them besides their website. My dealer has said they would sell it to me for about $900(cdn) and that this would include a good quality cartridge. Is that a good deal? Also, are there any specific questions I can ask the dealer in regards to this table? (just cause i really don't know much about turntables):b

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I have been really happy with my Rega P3 and the P2 is well-respected. I believe the Rega tables have been talked about around here, but also check out the Steve Hoffman forums where a search should yield some discussion on the Regas. Also consider the Music Hall MMF-5, which is in the same price range as the P2 I believe.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/fo...p?s=&forumid=5

Sathyan

Second Unit
the price sounds decent (depending on the cartridge). one thing to keep in mind: my dealer commented that he gets many rega's with broken tonearms. aparently after setup it is fragile so make sure everything's working.

i've found music hall's and pro-ject's to best rega's at that same price point

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My local hi-fi dealer sells Rega and I've often been tempted by that table myself. I've heard it and it sounds very nice.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The brand has a respectibility that goes back. It has pedigree. You could hold your head up high among those who have enjoyed equipment from SOTA, Versa Dynamics, Linn (he said, grudgingly), Thorens, and even the legendary Panasonic (later Technics) SP-10. I've owned Thorens (two models, in succession) and SOTA. And a number of tonearms too. Always take extreme care when setting up a turntable and tonearm. The very best units and combinations are delicate precision instruments. (SME's tonearms have been marvels of design and craftsmanship.)

Do not skimp on the cartridge.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, down turntable memory groove: I've also owned the legendary Acoustic Research AR-Xa manual turntable and tonearm combo. I first mated it to a then super-duper Shure V-15 Type II Improved moving-magnet phono cartridge (one of the best models available in 1971). Incredible suspension system on the turntable, which is remembered fondly among audiophiles.

Before that, even: a Garrard SLX-2 changer with a factory-installed Pickering cartridge.

Damn. Sorry. Turntables are cool.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jack,

Yeesh I was just going to say "How dare you not mention the
AR Xa" :)

You sir are definatly a turn-table-file :)

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
The Rega Turntables are excellent - I currently have two: P3 & P25. There is a remarkable jump in the tone arm between the two and I beleive the P3 to be a better choice in that regard to the P2.

These TT mate well with MC cartridges and my current combo of the P25 and Sumiko Blue Point Special produces a very addicting sound. You'll need the right phono amp for a MC cartridge, however.

No knowing Canadian$, you should be able to pick up a decent used P3 and Sumiko BP (not special) for about $600.

Enjoy!

gregD

Second Unit
Unless your pre or receiver already has one built in, don't forget to factor in the cost of a separate phono pre-amp.

Decent units under US$200 include Creek, Parasound, Rotel... under 700, look at the Lehman Black Cube.

Mine: Rega Planar 3, Sumiko Blue Point Special, Parasound PPH100... sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks