What's new

CD player upgrade time (1 Viewer)

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Hey All
My Cambridge Audio D300 CD player is now the weak link in my sys.
Rotel 1055 Reciever
Rotel 1075 power amp
Paradigm Studio 60V2 fronts
Paradigm servo 15 sub.
When I got the Cambridge it fit nicely in my Onkyo based system but now I find it is wanting for detail and attack although it is very smooth and never fatiging.
I have a budget of about $1000.00 CDN (700USD) for my upgrade and am more than willing to consider used equipment.
I am not set on spending my full budget although I will if neccessary.
The players I am considering at the moment are
Arcam Alpha 7 or 8 SE (can be had used for about 5-600 CDN)
Arcam CD72T
Rotel 971 (can be had used for about 5-600 CDN)
If you were me what would you do? Are there other units I should consider?
If anyone has a player or suggestions for me let me know.
Steve

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, Rotel and Arcam players should always be high on one's list. Although not to my liking, you might consider the Rega Planet and Planet 2000. The original Planet used will run you less than $700 USD, while a used Planet 2000 should be close to $700 USD. I find the Planet and Planet 2000 to be overly warm, but you might like that sound. Also note that these Rega players are top-loaders, so make sure you have space in your set-up for it.

Other players to consider are tube-based models. The Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 can be had in stock form for $579 from Upscale Audio (www.upscaleaudio.com). A 24/192 upsampling internal DAC is available for this player for $300. I had the Ah! without the upsampling DAC, and it was a solid player for the money. Similar options are the Heart CD5000 and CD6000. See Link Removed for more on the Heart players. Both the Ah! and Heart players are tube-modified Marantz players. Also, reviews are available on the Digital Domain board on www.audioasylum.com .

Another option, though it will run you more, is to keep the D300 and add a DAC. The DAC I am thinking about is Musical Fidelity A324, which sells for $1200 USD. It upsamples ot 24/192 and has gotten positive reviews.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I should add that some folks rate the Heart players better than the Ah! I haven't used the Heart players, so I have no opinion. It should be noted that the Heart players use better Marantz players as platforms than does the Ah!.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
A used Arcam DiVA CD92 or CD92T might be available for $1000 or maybe a little more.

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the Dac is upgradeable but if I am going to go to the trouble and expense of an upgrade then I feel I should look beyond the 500SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks