-

Photo
- - - - -

Can I add a line scaler/doubler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Craig Aguiar

Craig Aguiar

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted May 11 2003 - 03:55 AM

Hypothetical question here.

Lets say I had an LCD FP with a not so good deinterlacer/scaler. Could I use an external line scaler/doubler, connected to the 15 pin XGA input to increase the quality of the picture?

If so, would it work if connected to the component video input?

Or, am I way off in left field. Does a line scaler/doubler increse the quality of picture at all?

Thanks for all of your help, Craig.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted May 11 2003 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Lets say I had an LCD FP with a not so good deinterlacer/scaler. Could I use an external line scaler/doubler, connected to the 15 pin XGA input to increase the quality of the picture?
Yes, most likely you could. However, given the digital nature of the LCD display you'd get better results using a Faroudja "Native Rate" series processor or an equivalent machine that tailors the output to the native resolution of your projector.
Quote:
If so, would it work if connected to the component video input?
That depends on the line doubler. If it has a progressive component output and your projector has a progressive component input, then yes. Otherwise — no.
Quote:
Does a line scaler/doubler increse the quality of picture at all?
In short — most of them do. Your mileage may vary with different brands/models and projector combinations, but normally a line-doubled (with 3:2 reverse pulldown for film sources) picture will look better than interlaced. Whether it'll be better than built-in doubling depends on the respective quality of that one and the external you're looking to use.
My DVDs

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted May 11 2003 - 08:30 AM

you would need to find out if the projector will bypass the internal scaler when fed it's native resolution, many do not.

Forum Nav Content I Follow