What's new

looking for a receiver for under $200, opinions? considering kenwood vr6050 (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
here is the deal, one of my ex-girlfriends asked me to help her with a system...

she originally started out wanting to get a separate cd/speaker system and a dvd player, for a total of $300. Her TV, a sony 27" non-hdtv model, fairly new, would play the sound for the tv.

The reason she wanted the 2 separate systems was that she didn't want a lot of wires (i.e. no surround channels) all over the place and she wanted something very simple.

Now this lady lived with me for a quite sometime, while I had my system. So she was used to music sounding better than your average aiwa $99 shelf system.

So I took her to a store and had her listen to some mini cd systems in the $150 range and she was disappointed.

I also told her that if she went with a HTIB should could play her tv, dvd, radio and cd through one unit, one remote, and everything would sound better. She decided to give it a try...So after looking at some $400-$500 HTIB's and listening to some music (time allocated to music, dvd, tv in that order) I had her listen to a cheap system of a receiver, dvd player acting as a cd player, and a pair of NHT's SB2's (which can be bought at 6ave.com for $200 right now) and she recognized how much better it sounded.

So now, I have found a tolerable sub $100 dvd player for her at a clearence sale, and she is bidding on ebay for a pair of infinity IL30's from harman kardon themselves, she went this route, because if she gets it for under $200 (can buy from H&K store for $218, hoping to get them cheaper on ebay) it would be cheaper than the NHT's, as she would have to buy stands for the NHT's.

So now I'm looking for a receiver that is sub $200, to keep her cost in the $450 range total (not including wires, but I will be giving her the audio connects and speaker wire is cheap, the component cable she had to buy no matter what)...

at 6ave.com I can get the kenwood VR6050 for $178, can anyone think why that shouldn't be the one she gets or a better one in that price range?

Thanks for you comments,

Rich

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I have the 6050 for my second system. I use this system mainly for watching TV and sometimes the digital music channels. I think it would work very nicely for your girlfriend's needs and I doubt you could get anything as good for that price. It has good power, s-video connections and sounds good in surround mode. It normally sold for $299. I got mine open-box for $209. Is she just going to use it for 2-channel? I notice you only mentioned a pair of speakers. Make sure you use the actice EQ and speaker EQ modes, though. They really enhance the sound.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
She is only going to use it in stereo mode for now...

But I know her, and she will evenutally want to move up, so I am getting her that flexibility now.

And shes one of my ex's....If my current GF saw someone refer to my ex as a my GF and I didn't correct it, I would be eating my ass for dinner for the next two weeks.

Thanks for the input.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread