Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting computer to hdtv without rgb input?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Bill Va

Bill Va

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 10 2003 - 11:25 AM

I'm about to take the plunge into Hdtv and am wondering if it is possible to use a hdtv as a monitor for my computer if said tv only has component inputs? Its tough deciding to get a new tv without HDCP DVI or without a RGB and any input would be appreciated. Posted Image

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted May 10 2003 - 12:59 PM

Yes, it can be done. You'll need a transcoder such as the Key Digital KD-VTCA2 or the Audio Authority 9A60. Digital Connection also has a FAQ article to look at. It is very informative.

One of the problems that you'll probably face is overscan. Most RPTV's typically overscan by about 4-6%. This means that you most likely won't be able to see your Windows Taskbar fully. That can make navigation a bit difficult. ISF calibrationists can usually fix overscan pretty well, but you may or may not be willing to have something like that done (costs $$$).

Another option would be to use a program like PowerStrip to fix the overscan. This will probably not be as easy as an ISF calibration though.
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users