What's new

Need advice TV or Projector? (1 Viewer)

Brian Olsen

Agent
Here's my situtation.

I'm not lookinf for an HD TV because cost isn't worth it right now IMO.

So I'm looking for a inexpensive tv, 27"/32" or I'm thinking about going with a projector. Are there any "board favorite" projectors?

As always, I'm going to use the search as much I can, but I'm hoping someone could give me a head start.

Thanks to all.
-Brian

PS. I know that projectors are more than TV's but if it's worth the $$ I will spend it. :)

PSS. Here's an image of the wall. Please disreguard the crappy couch.. it's a demo room

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Where will you mount the projector? Table-mount, or ceiling? Your ceiling is at an angle it seems...that could be a problem for ceiling mounting.

You have to take into account lens throw...a short throw projector means you have to place it closer to the screen than a long throw projector to get the same size of image. Projector placement is another consideration you have to make.

Budget front projectors include the Infocus X1 (4:3 800x600 DLP with 2x color wheel...you had better demo one to see if you are immune to the color separation artifacts of DLP projectors), and the Sanyo PLV-Z1 (LCD projector, 16:9 960x540). Those two are the most popular for their price, which is around $1500 US.

I notice you have light spill coming in from the patio door. You will likely have problems watching anything during the day with a front projector. The screen will be washed out, and you will need a very bright projector to overcome it. Note that your blacks will be the same color as your screen, so in a bright sunny day, your black will be...white! :D

Brian Olsen

Agent
You bring up good points.

I would like to mount the projector behind the couch on some type of stand.

Perhaps what I will do is borrow our best projector from work, and try it. If I like it, I'll go from there. haha, don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Do you have any TV recomendations? I used to have a JVC that I really liked. Is there something better I should be looking for?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The most popular "entry" projectors at the moment are the....

- Infocus X1
- Sanyo Z1
- Panasonic L300U
- Sony HS10

which are in the neighbouhood of $1500 - $2500 depending on the model and place purchased. Any of them would make a killer projector and give you great results providing you can control the amount of light in the room. The darker you can make it the better, but a small amount of ambient light is still tolerable.

As for the room, what is the length of the room width of the front of the room (by the couch)? Angled ceilings are a challange but not impossible to mount a projector from. It just means you will have to do a little DIY work on the mounting process. The membership here can help you with that if needed.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
A projector should be able to work in that room. And you have the choice of a short or long throw projector. My only concern is how close will your main speakers be to the adjacent walls. It can really wreak havoc on the sound.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
The Dell 2100MP (a SVGA DLP projector) has been selling for less than $900 lately with the many Dell discounts that come and go.

That might be an interesting low priced starting point...

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Your room look similar to Neil's which I think is a great looking setup. You should check his out. I don't know what's on the other end of your room but the wall your posted would be prefect as a srceen. I you got a project without rear exhaust you could easily build a self and place it there. Take a look at my setup to see what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks