What's new

Do you know what I love about Paramount (1 Viewer)

Bart

Stunt Coordinator
They always (to my knowledge) use the original cover art on their DVD releases. While other companies continually ruin otherwise great cover art, Paramount always seems to use the originals. The reason I am bringing this up now is because I just had a look at the new Indiana Jones DVD covers and I think they're great (minus the name change for Raiders, of course).

Bart

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Yeah, when I saw the post, was gonna mention Top Secret! and Friday the 13th 5-8, The Conversation, and now Indiana Jones. I cant think of any others. Other than a handful, Paramount is a minor offender in this catagory. I'll forgive them as long as the keep putting out great transfers.

MGM is the wost offender in the cover art department, but their disc content is top notch most of the time.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
How true that has turned out to be - at least for Murphy's War -
I have an older P&S VHS and what do I see but the identical cover art. Well, it does keep the cost down! ( I hope).

Thems that die will be the lucky ones! Ar matey!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Their cover for SILVER BULLET is one of the most hideous covers I've ever laid eyes on. They also changed the MY BLOODY VALENTINE art for the worse.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Hmmmm, I'm surpised no one has mentioned Star Trek - The Motion Picture yet. The original concept for the poster was retained, but the new poster substitutes actual photos of the cast instead of Bob Peaks painted renderings. Take a look.

This is the original poster by Bob Peak:

This is the re-done artwork for "The Director's Edition":

Also, the Indiana Jones posters have been altered slightly. The Raiders poster is actually a combination of 2 separate posters and The Temple of Doom artwork seems to have condensed the original poster in an attempt to squeeze everything into the frame. I think it looks a little too busy. The Last Crusade cover artwork lops off the pillars, so Brody, Sallah, Elsa and Vogel are not seen.

Neil

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
New post on HTF: Title: Feeling warm all over!
"I'm so glad with the beautiful weather we have today. The sun is shining brightly and it's really warm."

First reply: "Yeah, at last. Except for that little cloud over there."

Next post: "One little cloud? There are at least three where I am standing."

Next post: "The moment I saw this thread I was going to mention those clouds too. I don't find that wind very pleasing, BTW."

Next post: "Yesterday was a rotten day. In fact the last week wasn't a good week at all, weatherwise."

Next post: "Don't you people see all those clouds? The sky is rather covered actually. Granted, it's not where the sun happens to be, but I bet that may change. (Shows one photos of nice weather and several of bad storms.)"

Next: "The forecast isn't too good. We're going to have some serious storms tomorrow or next week."

Next: "I know someone who drowned in those floods four years ago. Horrible!"

Next: "When is the hurricane season expected?"

Next: "My grandfather - bless his soul - one day when taking a little walk was so afraid of the heavy wind, he feared a gust would blow him off the street!"

Next: "Keep your filthy thoughts to yourself, please. Thank you very much!" (Reports post to moderator.)

Next post: "The whole year was rather rotten. In fact, one of the worst years we ever had, according to a statistic I read yesterday."

Next post: "To be frank: I like the weather myself too at the moment. We're nicely sitting in the garden with some large beers!"

Next post: "John will you please stop thread-farting? This is the bad-weather post!" (Reports post to moderator team, writes letters to owner of HTF and the FBI.)

Next post: "John is a Joe-Six-Pack! Or should that be John-Six-Pack?"

Next post: "Two months ago the storm was so loud, I couldn't enjoy my DTS track."

Next 15 posts: Discuss the merits of DTS versus DD.

Next post: Be glad my friends you don't have to live on Antarctica, like I do!

Next post: "Well, he admitted himself he was drinking beer!"

Next post: "When will the weather ever be good? Where can we complain?"

Several posts (1): Discussing the freezing winter of three years ago.

Several posts (2): "Wish they finally got rid of those dreaded snappers."

Cees

Trevor H

Second Unit
Just be happy you don't have to put up with the shit covers Paramount forces on us here in Canada, yes I'm talking about bilingual covers. I've said it many times before and i'll say it again "I will never buy a DVD with a bilingual cover"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, since you brought it up Cees, the weather IS pretty shitty here at the moment. :D

I generally like Paramounts covers, except for the cover for Titanic, that's pretty bad. The signatures on it by two TITANIC historians helps though. :D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Who cares about the covers (clouds), it's the sun (disc) that matters. For those Canadians who complain about bilingual covers, they should be thankful their trailers have electricity so they can even watch the DVD's. Or maybe they don't, that's why they watch the covers... Those who create or download new covers for discs really ought to get a life, this is beyond pathetic, there surely must be more important and beneficial things to do, just about anything would qualify. Yeah, me bitching about it is useless too, but those whining about covers...why advertise your superficiality?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"just about anything would qualify."

How about thread farting?

quote...
"why advertise your superficiality?"

And by the same token, why advertise your ignorance towards those just making small talk? That's not very nice.

If you had no intrest in this particular subject, why post about it at all? Doing so in the aggressive manner in which you did makes you look bad.

And, do you personally know anyone here? What gives you the right to call people you don't even know superficial?

Just kick back and relax. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree they try to get as close as possible, whenever possible.

They don't always make it:

But I AM more worried about the disc inside, so I give them a free pass on the covers! :D

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Paramount used to use original cover art constantly, but for the past two years they've been doing near-Columbia-awful photoshop jobs. Look at The Tenant's artwork. Look at Better Off Dead. And yes, look at Friday the 13th 5-8. Even Trading Places' cover was redone and looked a little cheap. I mean, Top Secret's cover made Columbia's Real Genius cover look brilliant by comparison. I was embarassed to walk up to the counter and purchase it. It made me want to turn the cover over, write "TOP SECRET" in red ink on the white underside and just display it like that.

If this thread had been started three years ago, I would've agreed wholeheartedly with you, Bart. I mean, Paramount of three years ago even kept the original artwork for Barbarella.

However, these days, Paramount keeps dropping the ball in the area of cover artwork, in my opinion. Of course, if A-list releases are all one cares about, yes Paramount does them faithfully from time to time.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I mean, Paramount of three years ago even kept the original artwork for Barbarella.
Yeah...I've noticed that they still keep the original PRICING for Barbarella as well. NOONE sells that disc for less than $24.99; I wouldn't mind picking it up, but not for that much cheese!

Heck, even a DVDPriceSearch.com lookup doesn't find it for less than $19.99...and that from North American DVD (who I've heard too many bad things about - two from close friends! - to give them my money). Even DDD is $22.67! :eek:

This came out 6/22/99...how about a price drop?!?!?!?!?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Warner Bros always uses the original poster art for its classic back catalogue titles (or at least incredible convincing new designs) and hats off to them for it!

Trevor H

Second Unit
For those Canadians who complain about bilingual covers, they should be thankful their trailers have electricity so they can even watch the DVD's.
Craig, that is about the dumbest statement I have read in a long time, making a comment like that about Canadians is bad enough but the fact that you are Canadian yourself makes it even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks