-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
531 replies to this topic

#1 of 532 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 12:32 PM

http://www.genreonli....os_Sci-Fi.html

THEY CHANGED THE FREAKING HELMETS! ONE OF THE MOST DISTINCT ASPECTS OF THE SHOW WAS THE COSTUME DESIGN! THEY CHANGED THE BATTLESUITS TOO! THE JACKET ISN'T EVEN OPEN!

BALTAR LOOKS LIKE A GODDAMN DAYTIME TALK SHOW HOST

At least the Viper is mostly intact...........

They should be ASHAMED of themselves. Of course one of the shots is of Starbabe getting it on. Larson is probably drinking heavily at this moment while Lorne Green, Lloyd Bridges, Fred Astaire, and John Colicos spin in their graves. RIP guys

#2 of 532 CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 12:38 PM

lol im gonna wait and reserve judgement till i actually see the movie.

capt

#3 of 532 Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 02:41 PM

Is the girl with the helmet on starbuck?Posted Image

#4 of 532 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,659 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 03:10 PM

Starbuck's a woman in this incarnation of BG.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 532 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 04:34 PM

Actually, I should take back the Larson comment, I forgot he's a Mormon Posted Image

Yes, Starbuck, Boomer, and apparently several other well-known cast members have had sex changes "To reflect a more modern sensibility". And Sheba and Cassie were wimps? Sheba kicked butt with the best of them, and Cassie was no slouch herself

I'm hoping that at this year's cast reunion we'll be able to get some first hand impressions of the show, and the original cast's reaction, and hopefully the producers will have the guts to show up to explain themselves. I'm sure there's some produce guy who will be happy to provide ammunition Posted Image

#6 of 532 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 05:48 PM

From those pix, I will be passing on watching this one. Looks too generic already.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#7 of 532 Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 07:06 PM

Well, god knows if the jackets aren't open I can't support this show! Posted Image

#8 of 532 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 11:17 PM

Hey look, they put turbines on the engines..f..for pulling air...in...in space...

I know there will be some explanation for it & I know that the original Viper's had a look something like that as well but...
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#9 of 532 JasonRH

JasonRH

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 12:17 AM

This just gets worse and worse. I wish this project would just be dropped before it actually airs. Don't worry Jeff, I'm as disgusted as you arePosted Image

#10 of 532 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 03:09 AM

Quote:
Hey look, they put turbines on the engines..f..for pulling air...in...in space...

Which is SOOO much more advanced than the braking flaps they had on the original Vipers. Posted Image

I'm reserving judgement until I see this show... hopefully it won't suck too hard. Posted Image

#11 of 532 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 03:30 AM

Don't forget the Viper is both a space and atmosphere craft. Since reactionary thrusters don't work in atmosphere it's quite possible they would have breaking flaps, and that the term just carries over from avionics.

The engines are fueled by Tylium, which I'm doubing works like the space shuttle by combining 2 elements which burn on contact, so I'm guessing there has to be some kind of Oxygen supply on board. Therefore it's logical there are air intakes so that you don't waste your bottled atmosphere during planetary fligh, and to refill the onboard supply

and Ken, the jacket comment was just to show how far they're going in disrespecting the original. It would have been so easy to update the materials and maintain the basic look of the costume

#12 of 532 RickGr

RickGr

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 03:57 AM

Yes, we want cute robot dogs and the same sfx used over and over and over. How dare they change such a classic?
Rick

#13 of 532 Matt Hamand

Matt Hamand

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 04:18 AM

It looks to me like they made some concessions to reality with the flight suits. Instead of going into space in suede (sp?) jackets and helmets with open face masks, these look like full pressure suits. A welcome change in my book.

Where are you seeing (in the linked picture) the everyday warrior jacket/uniform? It all looks like flight suit type gear to me.

In regards to the turbines, as others have mentioned they could be necessary for atmospheric flight. Notice how in the pictures they look like they're closed. It would be some nice detail work if, when/if the vipers actually do fly in an atmosphere the turbines open and spin.

Matt

#14 of 532 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 05:22 AM

Rick, do you know how much motion control photography, especially of action sequences costs, especially in 1978 on a TV budget? ST:TNG reused the same shots over and over too, going to zap it for it?

Quote:
It looks to me like they made some concessions to reality with the flight suits. Instead of going into space in suede (sp?) jackets and helmets with open face masks, these look like full pressure suits. A welcome change in my book.

The facemasks weren't open. the lights on the helmet were supposed to be a forcefield, it was not open. I'll concede the lack of a pressure suit, but they could have designed something that sealed into a pressure suit when the jacket was closed.

#15 of 532 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 05:49 AM

Jeff, Jeff, why do you keep torturing yourself? Just say to yourself "I'm not gonna watch it, I'm not gonna watch it..." Posted Image

#16 of 532 Matt Hamand

Matt Hamand

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 06:32 AM

Jeff

Quote:
The facemasks weren't open. the lights on the helmet were supposed to be a forcefield, it was not open.

Do you have a cite for that? I don't remember that ever being mentioned in the series and I don't remember any other use of force fields.

Matt

#17 of 532 David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 07:50 AM

I kind of like the look, and I despised the original show. If you don't want anything changed then just watch the originals.
David Forbes

Read excerpts from book three in my fantasy series at www.davidforbes.net.

#18 of 532 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 08:36 AM

Matt, check the original novelization for the forcefields thing, I believe it was in there.

Quote:
Jeff, Jeff, why do you keep torturing yourself? Just say to yourself "I'm not gonna watch it, I'm not gonna watch it..."

How am I supposed to complain if I don't watch it? I'd be as bad as the Trekkies on Sci-Fi's forums shouting "Ron Moore is god! He made it better!" when most of them have never even seen the show (Which is confirmed by the way, by many public and private debates, I and several other people have had, the best any of them did was watching a few scattered eps during the annual marathon). I will watch it, with fellow fans, sponges ready to throw at the screen, and probably with hard liquor nearby for when it gets really bad.

I've put almost 10 years into campaigning for the return of Galactica, and so have scores of others, many of whom have been going for over 20. And now we're being punished for it.
Richard Hatch maxxed out his credit cards making a trailer to try to sell an at least mostly faithful new show to Universal. It didn't happen. Tom DeSanto had a WONDERFUL script that continued the original series and introduced many new characters that could fit into the roles Sci-Fi wants to see. I've only read about 10 pages of it, but I'm dying to see the rest. It oozed love for the characters, and was done PROPERLY. Every comment he made on the project was one of a fan, determined to do it right. The crew currently doing this one doesn't have a clue that Galactica is anything more than Refugees+Evil Robots+Fighter Combat=Galactica. The show's spiritual side has been quashed, and I think the ONLY unique aspect of the show that WON'T be killed is Triad, after all it gives them a chance to show more skin

#19 of 532 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 08:53 AM

But look at that Viper! Very cool. The old Vipers looked very much like they were heavy set pieces that wouldn't budge. This thing looks metallic...looks like it could fly.

And note the helmet still has the bird emblem glued to it - you can't quite see it in these pics, but it appears to be there.

And I've got to disagree - Baltar looks NOTHING like Oprah Winfrey. He does however have 1970s hair - which should please the nitpickers.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#20 of 532 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
In regards to the turbines, as others have mentioned they could be necessary for atmospheric flight. Notice how in the pictures they look like they're closed. It would be some nice detail work if, when/if the vipers actually do fly in an atmosphere the turbines open and spin.

Posted Image I knew there would be some techie explanation...but still..in the old series you could hear them turning/whining...in space..as was pointed out they used the braking flaps...IN SPACE...Posted Image

Will this new show have Irish immigrants..in space?
Shane...in space?
The Guns of Navarone...in space? (or on an ice planet...in space.)
Nazis...in space?

Don't get me wrong, I loved this show as a ten year old.

Posted ImagePosted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow