-

Photo
- - - - -

DIY Riser questions for HT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 11:20 AM

Guys,

I am now ready to build the riser is my HT. I will be putting one couch behind the other. Has anyone out there built one and what recommendations can you give me? How high? Type of wood? Etc. etc. I have left over carpet that I will use on the riser. I am thinking about 12inches. Both couches are very low backs so height is not an issue (also this way my rear center channels will not be blocked).

Thanks for any help!

Michael
mbotvinick98@earthlink.net

#2 of 6 joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 03:25 PM

mine is about 8 inches high, with a 5/8 sheet of plywood for the top. it is cross braced for ridgidity.
let me out!

my dvd list

#3 of 6 LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 04:27 PM

I recommend getting the straightest wood possible. Absolutely no bends, wish some one would have made that suggestion to me when I build mine. I mean you won't get wood that can substitute for a bow and arrow. But test each to make sure their all flat. I did it by eye and was surely surprised when I got home.

#4 of 6 Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 01:05 AM

Hi Michael,

I haven’t built a riser yet, but I’ve started researching some of these issues. With regard to the proper height the concern is not with the backs of the seating, but with the relative height of the heads of the viewers in each row of seating in relation to the height of the screen.

I have found the best way to determine the proper riser height is to draw a scale drawing of a profile of the room. After the screen, seating is drawn you’ll have to estimate the height of an average viewer. Then from each row of seating draw a line of sight from the viewer to the top and bottom of the screen. If the line of sight from a viewer in the rear seating intersects the head of a viewer in the front seating the riser is too low. If you will be using a rear projection TV you are more likely going to need a higher riser since the screen is usually lower than front screen configurations.

Here’s an attempt I made at determining Line of Sight and the necessary riser height for a home theater that I am designing.

Good luck,

Larry
Larry's Home Theater

#5 of 6 TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 09:37 AM

Build it just like you would a floor. 2 x 6's and plywood then cover with carpet. 8 inches is generally considered the standard height, equivalent to a step on a stairway.

#6 of 6 Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 09:47 AM

My riser is going to be a little over 12" high. I'll be using 2x12's and 3/4" plywood.

Before you build a riser, I suggest that you figure out whether or not the people seated on it will be able to see the entire screen at the desired height. Mine had to be at least 12".

Here is an example (profile of my room with riser, sofas, and RPTV):
http://diverson.home....om-profile.gif
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread