-

Photo
- - - - -

Any suggestion for an affordable a/v preamp?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,855 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 10:33 AM

Hi, y'all. Not sure if this specific question came up before since I don't frequent this section of the forum.

Anyway, I'm looking for an a/v preamp that provides all of the following in order of priority:

1. Component video switching w/ HD bandwidth capability -- well, I'd be ok w/ something at 40-50Mhz bandwidth since I want it affordable and will probably only switch between 480p DVD and the occasional X-box game.

2. 5.1 channel switching for separate DVD-A and SACD players.

3. Analog bass management and time alignment and maybe even downmixing capability for something like phantom center channel.

I know #3 might not be possible at this time (at least not affordably), but not sure about #2. Also, I don't necessarily need digital surround decoding (ie. DD, DTS), but not sure if that matters.

I don't have a set price range yet, but I'm pretty sure I want to stay close to $500. And buying used is perfectly acceptable to me as long as I can get it in excellent working condition -- many of my equipment were bought used.

Thanks.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,855 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 01:39 PM

Hmmm... Seems like maybe the Outlaw 950 is my best bet although it doesn't do multi-channel switching. But does ANY a/v preamp do multi-channel switching?

Given that it doesn't do #2 and only does part of #3, not sure it's worthwhile spending $900 for one. Maybe I could get one used for something closer to my ballpark? Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks.

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 02:07 PM

Why not just get a Sony STR-DA2ES or 4ES and use it as a prepro with an ICBM?

Or else use a TAP9000ES along with a prepro + ICBM.
"Are you ready, Jack?"
"I was BORN ready!"

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor

• 998 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 06:40 PM

Craig is right. The lower ES line would be the simplest way to go and stay close to your price range. They are very flexible units and VERY quiet.
"By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe."

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,855 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm... Thanks for the suggestions. I might actually need 3 component inputs though for the video switching since I'm thinking about running 2 DVD players plus an X-box, so the DA2ES and DA4ES aren't good options besides the wasted amp section.

If I go w/ the TAP9000ES, then I'll still need to get a video switcher and the Outlaw ICBM. The total cost would probably be similar to the Outlaw 950 me thinks, but I'd need 2 extra sets of cables for the 5.1 analog path and still need to use my outdated DD/DTS decoder.

Given my order of priorities, maybe I should just go back to shopping for a video switcher first and not worry about 5.1 channel switching since I'm not really set on jumping into both DVD-A and SACD together just yet.

_Man_

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 12:08 AM

The Outlaw 950 comes closest to your needs. You may want to look for used items.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus