Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Strange prism like reflections on RP HDTV (especially with hockey games)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 10:28 AM

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their RP TV. I have the Sony 43HT20 and absolutely love it for everything,,,,except hockey games. With all of the white color coming through due to the surface of the ice taking up most of the screen, I seem to get small little prism-like reflections on the screen. They are not noticeable when viewing straight on, but when you start looking at the set at an angle, there they are. Doesn't matter what time of day or night it is. Used S&V to calibrate the set already, picture and brightness are under 50%. Could this be caused by wire-mismanagement? My speakers aren't that close to the set (maybe 2ft. away) and I'm pretty sure they are shielded anyways. Or is there possibly something wrong with the set? If anyone has had anything like this happen, would love to get any insight you may have. TIA

Regards,
Phil

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 02:28 PM

what you are viewing is the splitting of light through the lens ( actually very small lines cut into the screen - lenticular??? fresnel?? I forget) on the front of the TV. In order to project into the room, this is the type of surface they have to put on the screen of a RPTV. The almost microscopic lines act as a prism when viewed at an angle, splitting the white light (i.e. the rink surface) into its component color palette. Usually it is only visible at extreme angles.

Remember, an RPTV has a much smaller viewing angle than a direct-view, although the modern ones are 300% better than older models. Try to arrange your viewing are to view the set from as close to head on as possible. This will have the added effect of not shrinking the effective aspect ratio of the screen.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 05:25 PM

Hey that's a good explanation! Hmm, it almost sounds like the dreaded DLP rainbow effect (aka the color separation artifact). Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted May 10 2003 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Jeff! Very good explanation indeed.

Regards,
Phil