What's new

Strange prism like reflections on RP HDTV (especially with hockey games) (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their RP TV. I have the Sony 43HT20 and absolutely love it for everything,,,,except hockey games. With all of the white color coming through due to the surface of the ice taking up most of the screen, I seem to get small little prism-like reflections on the screen. They are not noticeable when viewing straight on, but when you start looking at the set at an angle, there they are. Doesn't matter what time of day or night it is. Used S&V to calibrate the set already, picture and brightness are under 50%. Could this be caused by wire-mismanagement? My speakers aren't that close to the set (maybe 2ft. away) and I'm pretty sure they are shielded anyways. Or is there possibly something wrong with the set? If anyone has had anything like this happen, would love to get any insight you may have. TIA

Regards,
Phil

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
what you are viewing is the splitting of light through the lens ( actually very small lines cut into the screen - lenticular??? fresnel?? I forget) on the front of the TV. In order to project into the room, this is the type of surface they have to put on the screen of a RPTV. The almost microscopic lines act as a prism when viewed at an angle, splitting the white light (i.e. the rink surface) into its component color palette. Usually it is only visible at extreme angles.

Remember, an RPTV has a much smaller viewing angle than a direct-view, although the modern ones are 300% better than older models. Try to arrange your viewing are to view the set from as close to head on as possible. This will have the added effect of not shrinking the effective aspect ratio of the screen.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey that's a good explanation! Hmm, it almost sounds like the dreaded DLP rainbow effect (aka the color separation artifact). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks