What's new

Which test disc for best 5.1 set up? (1 Viewer)

John Walker

Agent
Hi

I am just getting started and would like to calibrate(?) my speaker settings.

I am primarily interested in modern 5.1 (DTS?) set up using a sound pressure meter, test tones, sweeps, sub woofer phase/crossover/placement, phantom center speaker, timbre balance, distance/delay(?), "2.0" audio, etc etc.

It is important the disc cover these things in a 5.1 (DTS?)context and have suitable tests.

Can you suggest a good disc? (If I read the reviews correctly the Avia disc does not cover 5.1, and I can't tell if the S&V disc adaquately covers this with a meter).

Short samples from movies for demo'ing 5.1, DTS, DD, etc would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance

John

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
John,

Both Avia (1999) and S&V (2001) are produced by Ovation and are quite similar except in price. S&V for $16U.S. at amazon.com carries all the tests you want, plus a Dts track (not really necessary) and 6.1 as well as 5.1.

Folks have been waiting to see announcements for the new Avia and Video Essentials calibration disks, and I now see Digital Video Essentials coming in mid-July for approx $19 U.S. HERE It wud be neat to have both S&V and DVE for one's library.

bill

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The avia disc is mainly for Dolby Digital and Video tweaking. The Sound&Vision disc is mainly for Dolby Digital and DTS. For me in the end the only difference between my DD setting and DTS setting was for example DD was -25 and DTS was -29. All my speaker setting stayed the same. So you could go with the Avia disc if you want video tweaking but if it is mainly for sound the S&V will get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks