What's new

MGM: Please release "Body Slam" :-) (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Body Slam" was released in 1987, and starred Dirk Benedict ("The A-Team", "Battlestar Galactica") and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper ("They Live".)

Back in the 80's when I was a HUGE wrestling fan, I stumbled across this movie and rented it in a second (me as a teen: "A movie ABOUT wrestling? I'm so gonna watch that!")

Benedict plays a down on his luck manager who, desperatly looking for a way back into the limelight, takes on a pro wrestler (Piper) as his new charge, but fails to realize how cut throat the business is.

Ok sure, "Body Slam" is no landmark cinematic achievement, but certainly it qualifies as a guilty pleasure. For an former (or current) wrestling fans, the film features quite a few appearances by some legends, including Bruno Sammartino, Capt. Lou Albano and Ric Flair.

I don't believe the film got a theatrical release (it just looks direct-to-video) and for years, I had no idea which studio owned the rights. Well, it was broadcast on Encore today and wouldn't ya know it, the MGM logo appeared at the end, so I think it's safe to assume it's an MGM title.

So if anyone from MGM ever reads this, maybe you guys can find a slot in 2004's schedule for a "Body Slam" DVD. Widescreen please :)

If anyone would like to write MGM and ask for a release, here's their address;

MGM Home Entertainment
2500 Broadway
Santa Monica, CA 90404-3061

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If MGM does own this film, that gives me some hope that this could one day be released on DVD. I saw this movie when I was a kid (and liked wrestling), and I enjoyed it. I'd definitely buy (in OAR, of course) if it were released. I think I even still have a copy of this that I taped off of USA years ago.

BTW could a mod please move this to the Studio Feedback forum? Thanks.

Esten

Supporting Actor
I was also watching this earlier today on Encore.Definitely not a great film,but it's a helluva' lotta' fun.

I'll definitely pick up a DVD of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks