What's new

Daddy Daycare? Another Murphy misfire? (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
His last few movies, I Spy and Pluto Nash, not to mention the Klumps and Showtime have obviously been really bad and I feel the guy either needs a new agent or needs to call it quits.

Do you think this will do good up against X2 and Matrix Reloaded or will be a hit because the kids drag their parents to see it?

The advanced reviews have not been good as you can see here.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/DaddyDayCare-10001703/

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Get this, our 14 screen theatre is getting not 1, not 2, but THREE copies of Daddy Day Care Friday. We didn't even get 3 copies of X2 or The Two Towers. Either Columbia really thinks this will do business or some booker was asleep at the wheel when booking this film. Personally, I do not have any expectations for this film, but who knows until I see it.

AJG

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
As with the last 5 or 6 Eddie Murphy films, I have no interest in seeing this whatsoever. I don't think Murphy should quit by any means...he can be quite watchable...but the material he continues to select is of the lowest common denominator.

Bruce

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I have a tip that might interest you...

Thanks to my subscription to Box Office Mojo online, I have been e-mailed the theater counts for this week. "Daddy Day Care" is being put in 3200+ theaters this Friday.

This is insane. Very few of the films from the Columbia Pictures/Revolution Studios merger have been very good (with the exception of "Punch-Drunk Love" and possibly "Anger Management"). Not to mention Eddie Murphy's previous flops as well. I think Columbia and Revolution are overestimating the fact that this film will do well. The movie looks bad just from the previews, and very rarely do I make that assumption. I'm hoping, since "A Mighty Wind" is opening in more theaters this week, that this, and "X2: X-Men United" come together and beat the hell out of "Daddy Day Care" this weekend and show what Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios shouldn't be doing with their films.

BTW, I just saw "A Mighty Wind" this past Sunday and I thought it was very funny, and I bet a lot of money that it was probably 10 times funnier than "Daddy Day Care."

Then again...

Maybe Sony thinks that "Daddy Day Care" will appeal to kids and maybe that's why there putting it in as many theaters as they are. But I still find that no reason to put this film in over 3200 theaters this weekend. I imagine the film will do okay, but this is a major misstep on Sony's part.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Simple logic here:

I Spy - Buddy action comedy. Bomb.

Showtime - Buddy action comedy. Bomb.

The Adventures of Pluto Nash - Outer space comedy. Massive bomb.

---

The Nutty Professor and The Klumps and Dr. Dolittle and Dr. Dolittle 2 and Shrek - Family-friendly comedies and all very very profitable.

I'm not the first to predict this, but I think Daddy Day Care will crack $100 million.

And yeah: it's really bad. Like Friday Night Sitcom bad.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The trailer does look kind of cute in a non-intelligent & predictable kind of way ;) My kids want to see it so therefore we probably will. I hope it's good. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm usually the first guy who would agree that Eddie has lost his charm, but i'm on the fence with this one however. The film appears to be possibly fun, unlike his past three films which I immediately labled stinkers as soon as I laid eyes on the trailers for them. You just get a gut instinct for these things, ya know, and my gut isn't saying "stinker" about this one.

One of Eddie Murphy's problems is that he grew up mentally, when he became a husband and father he left behind the Eddie from such classics as Beverly Hills Cop, Delerious (for which he owns the rights to and said he would never release it to dvd because of his language and behaviour back then) and Raw and turned his intrests towards more family friendly fare.

Now, this can work, and has for him in The Nutty Professor 1 & 2, Shrek and the original Dr. Doolittle, but IMO he should try somethings that are a little more adult and risky. This course he's set himself on has failed him more than it's worked for him. He needs to ty something different now and bring back at least a spark of the old Eddie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As Scott says, this is of the same genre as "Nutty Professor" and "Dr. Dolittle" which are the only Murphy films that are hits these days.

I think it will do quite well.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Hey, If he's matured and doing films that he can be proud bringing his kids and thier friends to then God bless him. I would like to see him take a co-starring role in something with more teeth to see how that works out for him but what the hell, he's in a mansion and I rent an apartment so who am I to talk.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Since this is the only major movie of the week, the jam it into as many theaters as possible, this week, its makes its 30million+ and then dissapears next week when Matrix arrives.

It looks like another painful Murphy movie, this is what he ahs become the Fred Macmurry of our times.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
They need to bring back the FUCKING-BADASS-SLY Eddie Murphy of the 80s. But it seems he doesn't want to do that anymore :confused:

Right now he is as watered-down as a 32oz Coke at McDonalds. He should realize that his best stuff has been in the more 'adult' sector (I love all his 80s comedies... but since Beverly Hills Cop III everything has been CRAP IMHO (satisfactory to the masses, maybe)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
There are two questions. Is it any good? No. Will it perform well at the box office? Most likely. Dr. Dolittle 2 made nearly $113 million, believe it or not. Of late his box office potency has been in the child-oriented films. This one isn't any good, but it fills a niche at theaters which won't be filled until Finding Nemo. $100 million plus isn't out of the question.

Jeff Gross

Second Unit
My family got to see a screening of this last weekend. I didn't like it to much but both the children (ages 4 and 8)enjoyed it quite a bit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is strictly and kiddie movie, but there are a few laughs here and there for the adults, and I did find myself laughing. It's sort of predictable, but for the target audience (the kids), they'll have fun with it.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
well, i think that eddie murphy needs to take himself out of all these roles he has been choosing for their shear stupidity (with the exception of the talking donkey in shrek)
but, i watched a short segment on him the other day and he was talking about how he is avoiding anything he can't show his kids and he was talking about how his kids know nothing about his past works. i don't think he will stop doing kid movie until he realizes that his kids are growing up and they know about him
here's to him growing some balls again and making something good, or at least not so idiotic

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Hmmmm... "I Spy" is not something that anyone would want to show their kids. What's his excuse for that abomination?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
My wife and I took my kid sister to this last night. If Sony marketed this right, it will be a huge kids hit. I was expecting it to suck, but we went just because my kid sister wanted to see it and it had been a while since we had taken her out on the town. I was pleasantly surprised.

Your kids will love it, and if you are a movie/Star Trek/comics geek (and I suspect this forum has more than it's share...myself included) you will get your own share of laughs from the always awesome Steve Zahn's character.

Oh, and the Flash kid and the kid who plays Murphy's son are absolutely adorable....boy do I sound like either a total girly-man or a certain member of The Who with that comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks