-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FM reception

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Les Palmer

Les Palmer

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 06:55 AM

Something I've always wondered: Why do cheap portable radios get better FM reception than receivers? My current receiver, a Panasonic SA-HE100, gets pitiful reception (with the exception of one station that plays nothing but rap). Same with the Kenwood AR-A4040 that it replaced. I have correctly installed the vinyl-covered wire antenna that came with the HE100, so that's not the problem. How do I improve the reception?

#2 of 3 Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 07:03 AM

Umm, that wire could be the problem. It does not have the same reception quality as the telescoping antenna of a boombox. I bought an inexpensive add-on antenna that cleared all my reception problems up.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#3 of 3 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 08:47 AM

Les,

Jeremy is right. The dipole antennas that come with receivers are directional, so unless the wall you’re hanging it on happens to be oriented on the proper axis for the station you’re trying to receive, your reception will be a hit-and-miss proposition. Especially if you live some distance from the station.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews