Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Outlaw 755 vs. Rotel 1095?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 05:21 AM

I've done some searches and haven't found comparisons of these two amps. I've heard the Rotel in demos at my local dealer, but have never heard the Outlaw. Has anybody had a chance to listen to both of them? I am considering both of them, but the obvious price difference ($1,299 vs. $1,999) is making me lean towards the 755. I plan to get an Outlaw 950 but I am still wondering about which amp to get. I'm not really interested in comments like "Amp A blows away Amp B, hands down!" I just want to get an idea of sound characteristics (one sounding "warmer" or "smoother" than the other, etc.). Sound characteristics is the most important criteria for me.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 06:27 AM

Since Outlaw is sold only through internet direct, it would be hard to find a person with both amps. I have the Rotel myself, and from what I've read 2 other very comparable amps that you might wanna consider are the Parasound HCA-2205AT and the Sherbourn 5/1500A.
My Home Theater page. Click on the "home theater" link on the top menu bar.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Sihan, I will have to see if any dealers have those in my area.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   RichardHOS

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 08:52 AM

If "sound characteristics" is your most important criteria, then sleep well and buy the cheaper option. Neither will sound "warm, smooth, bright, harsh, airy, punchy, laid-back, detailed, open, veiled, opaque, or transparent." They're both well designed solid state class AB amps, and would be utterly indistinguishable at the same output level (say, 50W).

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 09:04 AM

I tend to agree with Richard on this one. I'm probably gonna go with the Rotel 1095, but my experience demoing equipment tells me that the preamp/processor has a lot more influence on the sound of your sytem than the amp does. Go with whichever one suits you the best, and be happy with your system!! BTW, supposedly the Rotel is slightly warm, and the Outlaw is neutral, although I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference in a blind/level matched test.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Yogi

• 1,741 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 01:48 AM

Rotel is slightly warm sounding and Outlaw is slightly bright sounding. So you have to choose based on your listening preference and your speakers.
The truth is not out there but within you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users