What's new

Wolfenstein Impressions--Are There Any Out There? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I haven't received my copy of Wolfenstein for the XBox and none of the game sites have posted a review yet. Has anyone spent any time with the game and, more importantly, the Live aspects?

I sure hope I'm not disappointed...give me some idea what to expect when the mail finally arrives.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Unfortunatly, I'm at work and my copy of Wolfenstein is in the backseat of my truck. Can't wait to get the hell outta here tonight!

If you played any of the OXM demo, you'd be hard pressed to be disappointed. That's all of Wolfenstein I've played, at this point but, I can tell you that the framerate was buttery smooth, the graphics down in the crypts were some of the most atmospheric I've seen yet. The mist, the flames from the torches, the bumpmapping and the spine chilling sound, all top notch.

I honestly didn't get enough of a taste of the enemy AI to really comment on it. The snipers were a real bitch. One of the undead enemies in the crypts really knows how to use it's shield.

If the rest of the game can keep up with the demo, it should be one hell of a "keeper".

If no one else posts any early impressions before tomorrow, I'm chime in and give my 2 cents worth.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Unless the full version has a much better "feel" to the controls, I won't even be renting. In the demo, I found it difficult to control the character and aiming wasn't easy either.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I'm with Derrik, I can feel the red hot copy of Wolfenstein I bought at BB over lunch burning a large hole in the foot well of my car. I need to get that thing home and in an Xbox where it can be properly contained, 2 hours and counting.

I'll post some goodies tomorrow...

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Ok here we go. I have logged in about 2 hours and I think that this game absolutely rocks. There are alot of dedicated servers and they can all run 16 players without a single glitch. I got the chance to play in a game hosted with someones t1 line, and it hosted 14 people with no problems. The voice communication is of course great, and you don't have to press a button to talk which is a major difference. The limbo system has transferred over wonderfully to xbox and the controls are completely customizable. Hopefully with more and more people getting it the servers won't slow down, if they don't, consider this the best Xbox Live game out right now.

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
I went home at lunch to play this bad boy. I concur with everything Brett just stated. I played for a little more than an hour in three different rooms without one single problem related to lag. Voices are very clear - the little speaker icon on top of their heads is a perfect addition.

As Brett stated, the controls are completely customizable. I had no problems controlling my character.

Too bad I have to wait until Friday to play this with the rest of the HTF gang. See you guys online.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Great! My copy didn't come in the mail today, but I can't wait. I hope to see you all Friday at the latest.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I just got back from Xbox RTCW. I played RTCW on the PC for a couple days. I didn't play it for long: I found that I couldn't compete in the slightest and was unable to communicate well with the keyboard.

Some quick thoughts about the Xbox version:

1. Pretty dark. I increased the brightness on both the TV and in the game settings.

2. You can set optimatch to only show dedicated servers. After a miserable first experience (few players, lots of lag), I started searching for the dedicated servers. My last game was with ~ 15 people and no noticeable lag.

3. When people talk a speaker icon lights up over their head. At the same time a speaker icon lights up on your compass indicating the speaker's relative bearing to you. Nice.

4. When you join a game, make sure you set chat to GENERAL. This is team chat. There are also options for TEAM A, TEAM B, and NO CHAT.

5. When you join a game, immediately hit the white button to access your limbo menu and choose something more interesting than SPECTATOR.

6. I can't find the original Wolf 3D. I'll look harder. How cool would it be if they allowed you to do multiplayer in the original Wolf 3D?

7. I played the single-player for about an hour, but lost interest. YMMV.

8. I really had fun with my last couple of games on the dedicated servers. Definitely had fun.

9. The stupid auto-aim present in the demo and the single-player game is not in multiplayer.

Joe and Brett: mind if I send you friend invites (if you don't mind playing with a noob)? My gamertag is below, I know Joe is "gaspacket", but I don't have Brett's.

-j

James St

Supporting Actor
I picked it up at lunch today and just got home. I'll be playing some single player for a little while until I get the hang of the controls. I'll be online later though. Feel free to send me an invite.

Excellent news on the servers.:emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Jay,

Just an aside, I changed my tag to "snakefish", so you might want to update your list. I'll send you an invite regards tonight. I have to watch the 2 yr old and gaming is an impossibility with him around, so I'll likely show up around 9:30 MST tonight.

Someday, I could probably set up a dedicated HTF server so folks here could show up and frag each other exclusively some night. Maybe I can do this for us this weekend (if I'm not playing ;)), I'll post another thread here if that sounds good to all, I don't mind sitting out a night so you all can enjoy some friendly carnage. I have a bridged DSL connection that hopefully would server well.

-J

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Does this game support clans? This is something I've been interested in for a while. Just like it is annoying to maintain an "online" season in an "offline" way, it is also annoying to organize, maintain, and track clan matches and statistics. So does this game support clans?

Jason_H

Second Unit
ARRRRRGH. I am quite frustrated. This is my first time on Live, and I am having the hardest time trying to connect to a game. I am searching for dedicated servers only, and 9 times out of 10, I get "Server Not Responding" after I try to connect to a game. Normally, my cable modem is quite fast and responsive. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I just played this game for 2 more hours with 7 fellow htf guys. Amazing, thats really all I can say. Everytime you win yuor thrilled everytime you lose your crushed, and yuo just keep coming back for more.

SOCOM KILLER!!!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Hey guys tonight ill be on to join you before mech assault and after so save a spot for me :)

capt

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Some random thoughts...

Played for a few hours last night with some friends. This is the LIVE experience I think many have been looking for.

I have never played the PC version, so this is my first time. It's like BF1942 and MOHAA Spearhead's conquest mode rolled into one... very cool! Storming the beach was really fun! As was defending it. Great level.

I can see this game has some major mutliplayer depth to it, and I find it much better than UT2K3 which I hardly played (and traded in for it). The ability to be different classes and working together is made much easier with the voice communication, unlike BF1942 where I notice most people (including myself), do their own thing.

I assume this game uses the Quake3 enigne? Running over ammo uses the familiar Quake3 Arena sound. The frame rate seems to be up to par as well. What I don't like is not being able to communicate with the other team at the end of the match, like in Ghost Recon. At one point I had to switch sides to speak with them. But, the game makes it easy to switch sides, as well as player class and main weapon.

Someone asked about single player... I played the first level and it was boring. I think I remember reading about that on the PC version, great multiplayer, lackluster single player. I think it holds true here.

Anyway, enough of my misc. ramblings :) It's a GREAT LIVE game, pick it up ASAP!

Mike D.

JayV

Supporting Actor
What I don't like is not being able to communicate with the other team at the end of the match
Definitely agree.

Also, on the plus side, I like the voting features.

Another small problem I had last night -- another noob teammate and I kept lighting each other up accidentally. The "send complaint" box pops up automatically and I think both of us accidentally filed complaints on each other. I was doing a lot of things accidentally yesterday.

Remember, folks: friendly fire -- isn't.

-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks